PDA

View Full Version : Finally Restored my 83 ATC250r...then it craps out!

tlalumiere
08-13-2011, 03:31 PM
so i decided to take my newly restored 83 250r out to rip a little yesterday, my black fenders havent even came in yet. She was running great, i was goin easy on it for a little bit. Then i got on it a little, was just tooling around my lawn for about 2 hours when it spuddered and killed out. I noticed the plug vibrated out. That was not problem easy fix. Next i was riding for another hour when it spuddered out again this time the rear locked up. I mangaed to get it running again but it wouldnt idle. I pushed it into my garage and now when i kick the bike over it sounds like the timing it off. As i kick it over it will give a one odd sounding backfire. One of my buddies said that the same thing happened to his blaster when he sheered the keyway behind the stater. Could this be the same 80 cent fix or do i have bigger problems? Thanks guys!

tlalumiere
08-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Anyone? Any useful imput would be greatly appreciated

fabiodriven
08-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Why don't you look and tell us? How in the hell are we going to tell you if the key sheared?

3-wheelin
08-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Fabio, you are on a roll! LOL

As much as I hate to agree with Fabio, he is correct in that you are going to have to tear into it as it is really tough to diagnose vague problems over the internet. Let the process of elimination begin.

tlalumiere
08-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Why don't you look and tell us? How in the hell are we going to tell you if the key sheared?

Well lets see, I was wondering if it sounds like a different problem. I wasnt asking you if the key is sheered, i was asking could a keyway being sheared do this to the bike. Is there anything else i should check? things like that before i go striping the bike to nothing again after a fresh rebuild..... But thanks Fabio

fabiodriven
08-14-2011, 12:23 PM
There are plenty of other things to check. Have at it. We can't do it for you. The internal combustion engine relies on three basic principals. Fuel, ignition, and compression. Take away one of those three and your engine will not run. Each one of those three things has many different components. Determine which one is your issue and work on each system until you find out which is faulty.

fabiodriven
08-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Keep in mind if it is the flywheel key you will still have spark, just at the wrong time.

Twilight
08-14-2011, 02:19 PM
If the engine was just rebuilt, hopefully you took it easy. 2-strokes need to be broken in, not ripped on right off the bat.

Take the spark plug out and get a compression test. If that's good, check the carb, and if that's good then check to make sure the flywheel key is good, if it is then start ohm'ing everything.

It's easy to diagnose if you get a lil dirty.

beets442
08-14-2011, 02:51 PM
+1... timing,compression,fuel,spark... Go Fabio ... Remember to post this as a reminder....rtfm

the great gazoo
08-14-2011, 04:44 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol:
Dood, get off the computer, get out there & do a little diagnosing, Jeez.

Twilight
08-14-2011, 04:59 PM
The guy was asking for help. Not a flaming down.

But yea, let's all be jackasses and keep saying the same crap, that helps.

Grow up guys.

Jason125m
08-14-2011, 06:18 PM
How hard were you working the motor? A fresh rebuild needs some break in time. Baby it for a while... Goodluck and hope you didn't run it to hard!

three_wheelin45
08-14-2011, 09:00 PM
ya, wtf is wrong with you pricks.... The guy is asking for simple opinions and help... He prolly has alot of time and money into his R and wants a picture onto what he has to tear down and work on... if you aint got nothing helpfull or nice to post, dont post at all...

Flossyb20
08-14-2011, 09:59 PM
You said you were tooling around the yard for a few hours...did you ever let it cool down? These foolers need to be moving to cool off, more so than the 4-strokes. If your yard isn't big enough, you could have siezed it...check the compression first...sounds like that may be your problem. Let us know what you find out.

fabiodriven
08-15-2011, 01:22 AM
To threewheelin and Twighlight- The friggin kid is asking US if his flywheel key is sheared. On what planet are you that we can tell him that. He has to tell us that! If you're so smart and helpful, why don't you tell him if his key is sheared.

threewheelin, I'm getting sick of your disrespect. You're a kid for cripes sake. Have some respect. And stop the name calling. I'd say you should know better but again, you're just a kid.

Don't try and tell me nobody's trying to help the kid. Did you miss this?

There are plenty of other things to check. Have at it. We can't do it for you. The internal combustion engine relies on three basic principals. Fuel, ignition, and compression. Take away one of those three and your engine will not run. Each one of those three things has many different components. Determine which one is your issue and work on each system until you find out which is faulty.

Don't you have people to rip off Twilight?

dougspcs
08-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Fabio, I usually read your posts with a degree of restraint..you have the experience and have been here longer than most..

Respectfully, I feel you need to practice a little humility..I don't see DC, one of the oldest and most experienced in here talking down to other members as you do. No matter how repetative or remedial he feels the questions are..

You treat everyone who has less posts than you like they need to mind their place!!

There are, of course, other members who do the same but all too often you are the pack member that starts the other dogs barking!

Lighten up on the junior members would ya??!! You opinion and knowledge is appreciated, just tone down the attitude a bit..

fabiodriven
08-15-2011, 07:35 AM
No. I have zero tolerance for stupidity.

dougspcs
08-15-2011, 07:41 AM
No. I have zero tolerance for stupidity.

Lack of knowledge isn't the same as stupid!! There aren't stupid questions..

Stupid is not asking questions and just f$#ing everything up thinking you know what you are doing..

We were all kids once who didn't know dlck..the knowledgeable ones are the ones who asked questions and learned..

dougspcs
08-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Tolerance is another trait that is learned with experience!! At least most do..because intolerance is stupid!

It's how wars start and buildings get knocked down killing thousand with no apparent reason!!

fabiodriven
08-15-2011, 08:19 AM
I will point out for the second time I tried to help the kid. My intolerance for stupidity in this case isn't against the OP as much as it is for the members who are sticking up for him and saying nobody tried to help him when clearly I did.

dougspcs
08-15-2011, 08:45 AM

If I read one of your posts directed at me (and I have). I would kinda feel you were being a dlck!!

It's not what you said that I am referring too..but how you say it!!

Nothing more..

three_wheelin45
08-15-2011, 09:46 AM
fabio I migh be a kid... but I know how to speak to others... Idk what your trying to be like but this is a website not the marine corps. So you can stop trying to be a DI or what ever you think you got going on.

tlalumiere
08-15-2011, 08:17 PM
To threewheelin and Twighlight- The friggin kid is asking US if his flywheel key is sheared. On what planet are you that we can tell him that. He has to tell us that! If you're so smart and helpful, why don't you tell him if his key is sheared.

threewheelin, I'm getting sick of your disrespect. You're a kid for cripes sake. Have some respect. And stop the name calling. I'd say you should know better but again, you're just a kid.

Don't try and tell me nobody's trying to help the kid. Did you miss this?

Don't you have people to rip off Twilight?

First off Fabio, Im no kid, ya that pic of me is old doin a handlebar wheelie on my 200x. I was asking for more imput to see if other people have had similar problem like this before. As for tearing the bike down for the 2nd time, i work and go to school fulltime, hardly have enough time to tinker like i used to. So i was hoping i would get a little knowledge feedback from some motorheads, but instead i got Knucklehead feedback..... from some.

Thanks guys for standing up for what i was trying to accomplish, and for the useful knowledge you gave me. I think i can hold my own...rah

Some other quick problems i found , its getting fuel, spark, and as for compression, it feels fine kicking it it over, ill have to get a compression test, but backfires once every 6th-7th kick over.

Friday was my first dayoff in a long time, was good to finally hop on the trike after 5 years, so this thursday when i get the plastics in ill do some more diagnostics and keep you knowledgeable people informed....with pics.

fabiodriven
08-15-2011, 08:33 PM
That's pretty cool that you own two machines but list 6 in your signature.

fabiodriven
08-15-2011, 09:07 PM
The two guys who "helped" you didn't offer any mechanical advise whatsoever. I actually gave you advice. That's the last time I help you.

The problem with me isn't that I think I'm exceedingly smart, it's just that other people aren't so bright.

tlalumiere
08-15-2011, 09:37 PM
That's pretty cool that you own two machines but list 6 in your signature.

I actually own 3 if you count my totalled Hypermotard but thanks i think it cool too buddy!

tlalumiere
08-15-2011, 09:44 PM
The two guys who "helped" you didn't offer any mechanical advise whatsoever. I actually gave you advice. That's the last time I help you.

The problem with me isn't that I think I'm exceedingly smart, it's just that other people aren't so bright.

Im sorry i asked a question, i figured i would receive help, thats what forums are for...... ya didnt have to start off with a response like your first that didnt help me out what so ever. And i never said i thought you were exceedingly smart, i thank you for your advice, i hope we can all just get along.

fabiodriven
08-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Apology accepted.

three_wheelin45
08-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I think its wierd I have been a member since 06... with less then half the post fabio has had... Someone is a post whore lurking for attention. Really nerve racking!!

dougspcs
08-16-2011, 07:44 AM
I think its wierd I have been a member since 06... with less then half the post fabio has had... Someone is a post whore lurking for attention. Really nerve racking!!

'three_wheeler' I think you hit the nail on the head..

Your words Fabio..wow man you are a piece of work!!

It's clear who Fabio is now and that he isn't here to contribute anything valuable, but to massage his only ego..

fabiodriven
08-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Your words Fabio..wow man you are a piece of work!!

It's clear who Fabio is now and that he isn't here to contribute anything valuable, but to massage his only ego..

Thank you.

The only thing that's clear to me is how blind you are. I merely tried to help the poor guy. If I didn't contribute as much as you say, I would be long gone. Please try not criticize the mods so much in their regulation of this great forum. They don't take kindly to that.

It's funny how I get lambasted and accused of contributing nothing even after I point out I have, and you add fuel to the fire by quoting my words in your signature. Again more posts of useless whining and no mechanical help whatsoever. Try not to clutter this poor guys thread any more than you already have.

dougspcs
08-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Please try not criticize the mods so much in their regulation of this great forum. They don't take kindly to that.

I made no such critical remarks toward the mods of the site..

And I am cluttering this poor guys thread???..you have outposted me on this thread nearly 2/1!!!

Now your just making shlt up to keep this useless conversation going..

While your online google: hypocrite and narcissist

I'm done here.

Mosh
08-16-2011, 11:50 AM
tlalumiere
Feel free to start a new thread when you get back to diagnosing since this one turned into a spilt bottle of baby food.
The rest of ya...Hash it out on Facebook or somehwere where I dont have to read it.