PDA

View Full Version : ATC 85' 250es Shifter problem

James S
08-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Hey guys, I just bought an 85 250es and I recently got it running and have been driving
it around a little bit. It would shift fine but now the shifter will stick when shifting. It wont return into gear. Shifting up into the gears the shift lever clicks into position. When you go to downshift it sticks down and does not return or click into position unless you reach your foot under and pull up lightly to let it return.
Is this a weak shifter spring or would some new oil/filter do the trick because the oil in it currently is maybe 40 years old which I would guess allows less lubrication.
Thanks for the help!

Jason125m
08-09-2011, 05:25 PM
For starters.... change your oil...!!!!!! Your bike will thank you. Keeping oil clean is key with these older machines.

dougspcs
08-09-2011, 05:52 PM
2nd that..shame on you!! Change that oil and filter..

tri again
08-09-2011, 06:28 PM
These have an actual oil filter too.
and if it is put in wrong it can ruin the engine.
If that's too scary, at least dump the oil out the fill hole and
replace with whatever you can afford.
Also check the gear oil in the rear end differential IMMEDIATEly.
There's only 3 point 3 ounces in there so they need every drop.

I'm so smart I didn't notice my shifter was bent would catch on the case
so hopefully yours is an easy fix too.
Worst case, find a side cover gasket, download a manual (or read online)
from the 'world class help' section, maybe look at an exploded diagram
from bikebandit.com and wait a little longer for some more good advice.

I saw one that needed some sort of internal spring thing with the same
lazy shifter but I didn't buy it, so I can't really tell you exactly what to do.

Be careful, keep your new trike hidden.
They tend to act as duck decoys and attract more when you're not looking.

Thorpe
08-09-2011, 07:06 PM
40 year old oil in a 27 year old machine...???

dougspcs
08-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Actually if you are gonna get picky with the guy Thorpe it's 5 million year old oil!!

But who's counting??

James S
08-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Yes, funny thing is This is my fourth bike and I know to change the oil, and yes its
not 40 years old. Thanks for the help...haha I will change the oil and hope that my
shifter problem improves...if not the side cover is coming off.

atc350xer
08-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Actually if you are gonna get picky with the guy Thorpe it's 5 million year old oil!!

But who's counting??

:lol: Good one!

Jason125m
08-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Let us know how it works out . Goodluck.

Jason

Thorpe
08-12-2011, 07:19 PM

But who's counting??

I stand corrected....

James S
12-17-2011, 01:29 AM
so I found the problem

James S
12-17-2011, 01:32 AM
I pulled the side cover off, and usually when something falls out and goes "Clunk!" on the floor you know something aint right.
Turns out the hardened bolt that acts as a keeper for the return spring for the shifter broke off. So I used a left hand drill bit and an easy
out and pulled the rest of the bolt out. I then ordered a new bolt from bike bandit for pennies and put my side cover back on reusing the old gasket and
some rtv silicone gasket sealer. No oil leaks, good seal, and the bike shifts like a charm now!

atc500x
12-17-2011, 09:27 AM
I pulled the side cover off, and usually when something falls out and goes "Clunk!" on the floor you know something aint right.
Turns out the hardened bolt that acts as a keeper for the return spring for the shifter broke off. So I used a left hand drill bit and an easy
out and pulled the rest of the bolt out. I then ordered a new bolt from bike bandit for pennies and put my side cover back on reusing the old gasket and
some rtv silicone gasket sealer. No oil leaks, good seal, and the bike shifts like a charm now!

Common problem on 250sx and 250es