PDA

View Full Version : TRX or CRF

3wheeledjunkie
08-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Tryin to get the stuff together to start a 450 trike winter project. What I want to know is has anyone rode both a CRF And a TRX powered trike? And if so, which do you believe is the more trail worthy unit? I figure both are plenty strong and powerful, but not looking for the fastest or quickest. Just which do you guys believe would be easier to trail ride? The CRF would be kinda iffy for me cause of the kick starter, especially where I ride. Also which one seems easier to transplant, and what frame is easier.

TatTooL23
08-07-2011, 11:49 PM
If u r looking for trail riding then the TRX is what u want. I have hea from a few that the CRF conversions r heard so crazy for racing as a dirt bike. It's not useable at slow speeds and through woods. I would def go with a TRX set up.

stevensj13
08-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Get a 400ex engine, you can buy a whole quad for half the price of a trx450 engine. Good power, but not as much as the 450.

audioworks04
08-09-2011, 11:44 PM
I own a crf conversion, and I have also rode the TPC trx conversion. I have only rode the tpc in the dunes, but there was trails involved. If you want to build a trail bike, then the trx bottom end is deffinatly the way to go. The crf does make more power, but its tranny ratio is geared higher, which makes it harder to trail ride. I am not saying that it is not trailable, but it is alot of clutch work. A 400ex is deffinatly a great trail motor, but you are not really gaining much over a 350x. Let us know if you have any more questions. Personally if you are looking for just a trail bike, I wouldnt waste your time with a 450, if you really want a 450, then I would stick with a trx conversion such as a tpc.

just ben
08-10-2011, 12:36 AM
the tpc's use the trx bottom half and crf top end. I took bills for a quick rip recently and seemed to thave plenty of power in all ranges

jensenracing77
08-10-2011, 03:50 PM
the tpc's use the trx bottom half and crf top end. I took bills for a quick rip recently and seemed to thave plenty of power in all ranges

X2.
the TRX gear box IMO is the best setup for a trike. also, if you ever take a TPC for a ride, ask if it has the TRX cam or the CRF cam. most of the TPCs that are out there have the CRF cam in them and have the CRF power with the TRX gearing, a great combination. a couple of the TPCs, including #77 that i have most of my time on have the TRX cam in it. it is still more power than a stock TRX engine because the head and carburetor are from the CRF. i have no trouble with this setup in the woods.

audioworks04
08-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes, bill uses the trx bottom end with a crf head and cam. The crf head has far superior porting over the trx head stock to stock. The tpc is an amazing ride overall. I was amazed by the usable power.

Toledo_Tommy
08-10-2011, 08:39 PM
I own a 05 trx 450R with hrc kit and i can tell you this , The bike is awesome in trails . I have owned many other quads/trikes in my life and i'm sorry for saying this but this bike is one of my favs for trail riding and yes it has four wheels. I would for sure do a trike conversion with this motor , if and a big "IF" i could find a trike with the suspension set up as a stock TRX 450R. The tech. in the suspension is just light years apart and away , it's no mystery. Please Don't take this wrong , i still love my three wheel machines. As i get older i can just feel the difference when riding my 84R all day compared to riding my newer bikes all day. Just my thoughts tho .

Dirtcrasher
08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
The combination of the TRX and CRF parts seem to work best. Get a cheap used quad, chop it up, weld it up and with some sort of decent front end ( or get out your wallet for a real match) Then use the CRF parts Bill uses. He knows his quad stuff and is done playing with 25 yo technology...........