PDA

View Full Version : new chain wont fit ?!?!?!?!?!?!

kilabeez0
10-29-2003, 07:34 PM
my 85 110 chain snapped in july. i tried to replace it a couple weeks ago with a new one i bought off of ebay. long story short, it was like a good 4 or 5 links short. i tried to add extra links from the old chain but the master links would just break off because there was too much tension. Can someone tell me why it didn't fit? it was a generic 428 chain.

thefox
10-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Did you buy the right chain? When you put on the new chain did you loosen up the chain adjuster?

-Andrew

KASEY
10-30-2003, 02:00 AM
it was a generic 428 chain.

maybe there is a hidden clue in that quote? you need 86 links did you cpount them before buying?

TimSr
10-30-2003, 10:28 AM
I dont understand the question. Are you saying you got a chain with the same number of links as your old one, and its several inches shorter? Or did you buy what some manual said its supposed to use and its too short?

As thefox asked, did you loosen the adjuster? Its normal for a new chain with the same number of links to be a little bit shorter, maybe an inch or two, because the degree of stretching is what is deemed as wear on a chain.

If you are saying its supposed to be a certain number of links, and you have that number of links, but its too short, it probably does not have teh stock sprocket sizes.

If it is the same number of links as the old one, but there is several inches difference in the length, then is probably not the same chain #size.

The best way to buy chain is to count the links on your old one, then order one with five or so extra links, and then cut it down to the proper size. Keep in mind, links are often removed when a chain gets stretched out, so be sure to get the extra links in you new one or it wont be long enough!

kilabeez0
10-30-2003, 08:15 PM
well i buy all my stuff from the seller HKC1 and i simply gave him a list of items i needed and he mailed me the chain. no, i didn't count each link, and i probably should have. and now i've already butchered the old chain. could someone tell me the amount of links it's supposed to have? the manual doesn't specify :?