PDA

View Full Version : 85 86 ATC250R Forks and Rear Shock on 83 ATC250R Frame

Razz
08-05-2011, 02:12 AM
I guy at work gave me a 83 ATC250R this past weekend. It had been sitting on the side of his house for the past 10 to 15 years and he just wanted it gone. He said he just stopped riding once he had his son and just parked it. I rode them new when I was younger so I figure what the heck. I got it home and had it running again by the end of the weekend.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is to find out if the front forks and a rear shock assembly would work on the 83 frame? As you could imagine the fork tubes have some pretty bad rust and pitting after sitting all those years. I did some research and it seems that Honda increased the suspension travel in the 85 86 model year so if I am going to replace the tubes why not get a better bang for the buck?

What would it take to incorporate a 85 86 frontend onto a 83 frame? Should I get the entire frontend assembly or would the tubes bolt into my existing triple clamps?

Can a 85 86 rear shock assembly be bolted into an 83 frame?

I also need to do some serious brake work on the bike. I don't have any right now because things froze up and the brake reservoirs crumbled in my hands when trying to remove the covers. If things don't work out with the suspension change mentioned above, will 85 86 front brake assembly bolt onto an 83 setup? This would allow me to get rid of the plastic reservoirs on my bike and switch to the updated ones with the site window to check the fluid level.

Thanks in advance for your help. Any would be appreciated.

ForeverThreeWhe
08-05-2011, 08:46 AM
To go with the later model forks you will need to get a later model triple tree. The front brakes are on the opposite side on the later model too. The later model master cylinder will work. Infact just about any dirt bike master cylinder should work.