PDA

View Full Version : A hit and a miss

Swinger
08-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Ive been workin on my 84 Tecate for a while now and had some water pump issues, well that is taken care of now it seems I have a miss, usually toward high RPMs. My carb is pretty rough on the outside but when I take it apart it is spotless on the in side but floats stick once in a while. Everything in the motor is new, bottom and top end. I went a little too radical with my regearing but am changing that today. Its seems like the band kicks in but is sucking too much fuel for the carb too keep up. I was thinking maybe my electrical too but everything is gone except the bare minium. Any thoughts??

thestud25
08-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Well Tecates are known for bad stators. It could be that, or your float may be the likely culprit. Get some fine grit polishing compound and a Qtip and polish the seat. Seat if your needle is still sticking after that.

Swinger
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
I know it isnt the stator, its a brand new rick stator and fly wheel. I just got done changing the front sprocket to a 14 from a 15 and ran like crap for a min till got warm then the band holds strong till 4th gear top end starts cutting out again. Has to be in my carb!!! Its one of the very few things that arent new. Ive tried cleaning it a few times already and just think its time for a new one. The outside of the bowl it all beat up from the previous owner hitting it to get the floats unstuck

ministock6
08-04-2011, 05:56 PM
i had the same problem with mine ended up being to lean on the topend (someone put a cone filter on and didnt change the jets back to the stock airbox runs like a champ well did)

just ben
08-05-2011, 07:36 AM
I was having both of your issues. the floats i changed to the old brass one piece and havnt had a problem with them sticking since. the top end issue was too small of a main jet. you didnt mention your engine mods. mine is .060 over full dg pipe and kn pod filter. I think I have 320 main jet in it now

Swinger
08-05-2011, 08:14 AM
mine isnt bored over at all but new weisco piston n rings, hotrods crank and bearing kit, k/n filter, boysen reeds, ricky stator,flywheel.etc... I took my oldest son for a ride last night cause he wouldnt leave me alone and ended up pushing it outta the woods. WTF!!! It would start but bog then run for a few seconds and put it in gear and die. Im getting so frustrated with this that Im bout to sell it but I know I would never get close to the money I have into it or find another around here since everyone says mine is the only one they have seen.

Swinger
08-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Im not sure the jets that are in the carb but Im looking into a flatslide carb and am gonna buy one as soon as I get paid, then gotta work on a pipe. I sent Jemco an email a few days ago but havent heard anything yet but thats what I want