PDA

View Full Version : 350x help please

MarkM
08-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Just got a 1986 350X the motor is blown and it was given to me with a new 12:1 piston and jug. What other adjustment do I need to make to make the bike dependable. Do I need to change the carb, or just the carb jetting. I have no exhaust, do I need aftermarket or can I go with stock. Just looking for some imput. I am also looking for a gas tank.

MarkM
08-03-2011, 10:26 AM
The bike also has a small crack in one of the cases will expoy or jb weld work or do I need to weld or replace it?

dougspcs
08-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Sounds more terminal than repairable..my advice, find a good replacement motor either in here or Ebay.

By the time you are done with that rebuild you could be into hundreds!!

aldochina
08-04-2011, 12:26 AM
cases can easily be welded, just have someone whos not a hack do it. rebuild the engine! you already have the new top end. is the crack by the drive sprocket by chance?? you can just rejet your stock carb if its running poor. and since you have no exhaust you may as well find something with alittle more flow. aftermarket setups are hard to come by for the 350x except the cobras which are crap!

MarkM
08-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I have read several different reviews on how hard the 350x is too kick when it has a 12:1 piston in it, anyone have any first hand experience. what #s should I go with for the jets. I am looking at a basically stock cam 12:1 piston and an aftermarket exhaust maybe a DG.

Swinger
08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I had a few trike that the motor got welded on an worked great. My guy is a genius, that and he welds for a living so does awesome work. Try to stay away from jb weld and stuff unless it is an emergency! As far as kicking yours over with that compression it probably will be rough but Ive seen skinny guys kick over old harleys too so its possible! Start with you stock jets and go from ther once you get it running. Pipe I cant help you there cause mine had a stock pipe but would deffinatly go with something aftermarket if your budget allows

wonderboy
08-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I've got a 12:1 Wiseco piston in mine and I don't think it is hard to kick over. Make sure your decompression cable is connected and adjusted per the manual. It will help.

I have read several different reviews on how hard the 350x is too kick when it has a 12:1 piston in it, anyone have any first hand experience. what #s should I go with for the jets. I am looking at a basically stock cam 12:1 piston and an aftermarket exhaust maybe a DG.

SWIGIN
08-04-2011, 04:34 PM
I've got a 12:1 Wiseco piston in mine and I don't think it is hard to kick over. Make sure your decompression cable is connected and adjusted per the manual. It will help.

This ^

But mines only 11:1 but it kicks real easy with the drcomp hooked up.

cattle-dog
08-04-2011, 07:34 PM
save the motor rebuild ityes you may have more than a good used one but yours will be fresh and should last along time with proper care