PDA

View Full Version : 1984 YTM 200 Clutch & Motor Issues

highspeed
08-02-2011, 08:51 AM
I just aquired an 84 YTM 200 from a friend. It runs, but not all that great. There is a loud "growling" noise which I think is the clutch because it does it immediatley on starting it and after I cut it off, it still goes and growls until it eventually stops. It also smokes and after running it for a while it will die and I have to let it sit for 15 minutes or so before I can start it again. I just ordered a Clymers book for it so I can get into this thing and get it fixed. I had an ATC 110 that I would have to let it sit for a while before it would crank back up. I put a new piston head and rings in it and it fixed the problem. I don't know if it was dumb luck that did it or what. Can anyone tell me what I need to get this thing running like a top? Even with it running this bad, it smoked my old 200ES.

dougspcs
08-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Well my crystal ball is in the shop..so where do we start?

The growling noise..does it change pitch when you rev the engine? Why do you think clutch? Does it shift into gear and move? Any noise from the drive train when in motion??

You see there are more questions than answers with the information you have given.

Start with this. Start the engine and get it to idle if it will..

Take a long screw driver and place the tip against the engine in various locations and place your ear to handle..move it from place to place until you get an idea where the engine noise is coming from..top end, bottom end, transmission, clutch area.

When your manual arrives use it to figure out how to disassemble the area you need to do an exploritory on..

highspeed
08-02-2011, 09:40 AM
It doesn't change pitch when it revs up, but when you kill it and even after the motor is dead, the growling noise continues as if there is something still spinning. It idles fine and starts easy. Its just that after running for 15 minutes, it runs poorly and I have to let it sit for 15 minutes before it will start back up.

dougspcs
08-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Electric start?? Not too many things will keep spinning after shutdown..starter drive maybe.

Still with the screw driver to the case idea to locate it..if you hear it after the engine stops should be a breeze to locate after you kill the engine.

Noise and running issue are probably separate issues..carb problem likely(flooding itself)..engine smokes you said(black, blue or white?)

Start with the noise..resolve it then deal with the running issue.

MonroeMike
08-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I would suspect the one way clutch is bad.

Page 136.
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf

highspeed
08-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Blueish smoke. No electric start on this one. I will clean the carb this weekend and see what that does. Talked to my friend that gave it to me and he said that there is an adjutment screw on the carb that is froze. That might be the culprit. Hope he's right. Thanks for the PDF file. Still waiting for it to upload.

highspeed
08-02-2011, 03:08 PM
What are some good vendors to buy from? I have looked at Dennis Kirk, but they don't have what I'm looking for?

muthey
08-02-2011, 04:29 PM
babbitts sport center carries alot of ytm parts otherwise it's going to have to come from ebay

highspeed
11-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Got the carb cleaned today (dirtier than all get out with the main jet clogged pretty bad) and I will put it back on this afternoon. I pulled the recoil starter off to see if this was the culprit with teh growling. When I pull it back, it makes a grinding noise and I'm thinking this might be the problem if its not totally disengaging from the pulley. I will post back up this afternoon and give an update as to whats going on.

highspeed
11-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Ran for all of about 5 seconds and then it died, but it is still making the noise, but not as bad it seems like. Took the spark plug off and it is carbon fouled and the electrode is worn down. I got new plugs and I am going to change the oil in it this afternoon. I adjusted the throttle needle which was set a the next to the bottom setting which was a rich setting. I moved it up 2 notches to see what the difference will be. I cranked and cranked until I was worn out and it fired a few times but never ran. Then gas started coming out of the overflow port, but it only did this once and for about 2 seconds. I am definately going to have to get a petcock for it because it leaks bad. At one time I saw where the cc size of the motor was stamped, but now I can't find it. Can anyone tell me where that is located? I just want to make sure it is a 200 and not a 175. Thanks in advance.

Jesse

muthey
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
we since the 175 and 125 are 2 stroke, it more than likely is a 200. is it suspended or a hard tail in the rear? suspended is a 225 four stroke, and hard tail is the 200 four stroke. If you have gas coming out the over flow tube then there is a good chance you float bowl needle is no set at the right height, or the needle seat gasket is worn out.

leevarnado
11-16-2011, 10:47 PM
post up some pics and vid of what it's doing.

Swinger
11-16-2011, 11:37 PM
On the right side of your motor above the oil filter there is a tag plate there that has the engine numbers on it. Im pretty sure the stock setting for the needle is in the middle position. Its in the manual!

highspeed
11-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks. I have found the tag and the stamp. Its a 200. Put a new plug in it and it runs and idles on the first pull. Smokes a little and it still has the growling sound. The primary clutch is in the same vacinity as the recoil so I am torn between which one it is. It acts like a go cart when it gets cut off and the centrifugal clutch keeps spinning. I will post up a video when I can, but it probably won't be until next week. Anyone ever had any problems with the primary clutch? How hard is it to change on a Yamaha? I did a clutch pack on a Honda 200ES & I had to take the primary off first. I tried to use the socket with a ratchet, but I ended up having to use an impact to get the nut off.

muthey
11-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I do know that you can do it with out pulling the motor, but you do have to take the primary off first I do recommend a good strap wrench or using an impact on a couple of the bolts for the clutches I did it with a good strap wrench, but I had the motor out so could move it around alot better. With the pull start you can only tighten the holding nut so much or it will hang and be too tight too let the dog back in so I would do a double check on that first and if it doesn't change then look at the clutches.

highspeed
11-17-2011, 01:32 PM
I tightend the nut on the recoil and that seemed to quiet it some, but it is still got a little noise to it.