PDA

View Full Version : fouling plug

jordan_muirhead
07-31-2011, 05:13 PM
my plug keeps fouling out, solid black and wet, what causes this?

surveywaters
07-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Check you compression. Is she smoking? Any quirks you can mention, tough to start etc....

Thorpe
07-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Carb is in need or a rebuild....?

jordan_muirhead
07-31-2011, 06:04 PM
brand new 200x carb from evilbay, maybe 6 tanks through it, but its still clean as a whistle, if I try to stab it tho, it bogs out if the choke is in the up position it bogs and or dies long as it has a clean plug it fires right up and runs like a champ, pretty good power too for a 185s

jordan_muirhead
07-31-2011, 06:05 PM
not really any quirks but now it wont start cuz the plug is fouled again

Thorpe
07-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Chinese carb.... Jetting is too rich if your plug is wet... Have a read:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?55086-Carb-Jetting-101-Terms-Tips-and-Jetting-Theory

jordan_muirhead
07-31-2011, 07:17 PM
so could it be main jet too big maybe?

muthey
07-31-2011, 07:24 PM
more than likely especially if you are using a 200x carb on a 185s, a 185s will need less fuel than a 200x

jordan_muirhead
07-31-2011, 07:32 PM
ahh....i thought...but wasnt sure....nobody would know what size the main jet is on the zoomzoom 200x carb would they?

muthey
07-31-2011, 11:50 PM
do you still have the original carb for the 185s? if so why not just put that jet in there, otherwise you'll have to check the repair manuals, to see which one you'll need. also I would recommend going to a honda shop for the jets as well that way you are guaranteeing top quality parts vs ordering in cheap Chinese parts

jordan_muirhead
07-31-2011, 11:55 PM
so if i swap the main jet from my original car it should fix it?, Ive thought of this several times...but didn't know if it would work....hmm....i had just rebuilt that carb too...ill have to look for it now...

El Camexican
08-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Did it run good on the first 6 tanks you mentioned? If it did disregard the part about the needle and go straight to the float. If not, start by raising the clip on the needle as much as you can thus lowering the needle (some folks get that backwards) If that dosen't do it make sure your float is set so that it is closing the needle and seat assembly completely well before it hits the carb body. While you're in there go ahead and see what the difference between the old and new main jets is and if they interchange. One very important question: Did you use any parts from the old carb? Start with this if you want and post the results so we can narrow this down as there are a lot of things that could cause this. What is a "Zoom Zoom"? If you are running anything other than a Mikuni, Keihin or Lectron I don't know what else to suggest.

jordan_muirhead
08-01-2011, 12:26 AM
well, it was a zoom zoom carb lol, i guess the seller name, its done this since i put the carb on, runs great except at WOT then it bogs dies, and im left with a fouled plug, plus the exhaust smells like gas, strong

El Camexican
08-01-2011, 12:34 AM
I hope you didn't pay too much for it cuz it sounds like it might be going in the trash. My work involves quality control over seas and I have trouble getting a simple door hinge made correctly, never mind a carb. Do you have your old one? Thought about a rebuild kit? New OEM? A carb is one of those get what you pay for things. Keep in mind a lot of that gas is getting into you oil and that ain't good.

jordan_muirhead
08-01-2011, 12:38 AM
well...i might get another carb soon...but im tight on money for now, i think i still have the stock carb(gotta look)

Nubbinz
08-01-2011, 12:40 AM
my 185s gets the plug jet black, it just chips off with a regular screw driver... i wouldnt mess with it if it runs good till the plug is fouled, just chip off what you can and wipe it off with a paper towel, all my carbed toys run rich, ive yet to see a plug so fouled it wont run after scraping and wiping it off

El Camexican
08-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Hope you find it and DON'T mix ANY parts between the two brands