PDA

View Full Version : please help!!!

greg36
07-30-2011, 09:45 PM
so i have a 85 200x and its been running fine for awhile. i had a probem a while back, when ever i turned the gas on it would jus pour out the run off and flood. i bent the float up. and its been running fine ever since, starts on first kick. but i took it out last night and it would die one me everytime i would do a doenut, but it would start back up, then it kept dieing on the doenuts then it wasnt starting anymore. it would start for a second then jus die. so now it jus starts up and dies.
i cleaned the carb out and put a fuel filter on it not to long ago and the filter has not gotten clogged. it has a new spark plugg. i looked for any airleaks and didnt find any.
SO IM CLUELESS WHY IT STARTED DOING THIS OUT OF NOW WHERE
PLEASE PLEASE HELP
THANK YOU

elvis
07-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Is it getting spark?

Toledo_Tommy
07-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Might need to adjust the float again , sounds like it could be running out of gas. Everytime you gun the motor to do your " doenut " it could be sucking what fuel is in the bowl out. Then once it stalls it starts to fill the bowl up again until you do it again.
Just my thoughts, good luck.

greg36
07-30-2011, 10:10 PM
oh i see, but now itstart up up again for then a 2 seconds
okay how do i adjust the float so its right?
thanks for the help guys

greg36
07-30-2011, 10:12 PM
sorry i didnt see that one elvis
yes sir its getting spark

Toledo_Tommy
07-30-2011, 10:16 PM
It's a fuel issue i bet , adjust the float and you will be ok.

greg36
07-30-2011, 10:43 PM
is it common for floats to get out of wack?
and how do i know how to adjust it?
ive been searching for specs and the right adjustments for it and cant find anything

Toledo_Tommy
07-30-2011, 11:05 PM
I blow into the fuel line while moving the float to a level position . When you cant blow through it , its like the gas stopping. The floats should sit level , thats the best i can give you man.
Good luck

MonroeMike
07-31-2011, 12:09 AM
is it common for floats to get out of wack?
and how do i know how to adjust it?
ive been searching for specs and the right adjustments for it and cant find anything

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?126336-ATC200x-(83-85)-Service-Data

Greaser1
07-31-2011, 11:13 AM
I see the potential for several problems here...

Before you do anything else, get a copy of a maintenance manual for your bike and familiarize yourself with the specifications and procedures you will be performing. After each step below, try starting the trike and make note of any changes in the behavior.

1. You mentioned you just changed the plug out. Check again to make sure the plug is gapped properly.

2. I usually start with fuel and then move to spark, but you may have other issues now that you began tearing into the carb. You also mentioned installing a fuel filter. Check your fuel flow from the tank first. Turn the fuel shutoff valve off and remove the line from the carb. Place the line into something to collect fuel. Open the fuel shutoff valve and make sure fuel is flowing freely.

3. Check to make sure all connections relating to the intake side of the engine are tight and there are no cracks or holes. Make sure the air intake piping from the filter or airbox are all in place. Make sure the filter is in place.

4. Check the carb settings in the maintenance manual and adjust accordingly (idle adjust, float level, etc.). Always disassemble the carb completely and blow each passage out with compressed air each time you open the carb. It takes some time the first few times, but once you get used to it you'll breeze through it.

Follow these steps and if you still have problems, post any changes in the behavior you found throughout the process.

greg36
08-02-2011, 03:45 AM
okay so i took the carb off and cleaned the hell out of it. nothing was plugged up, float was at the correct height. the spark plugg was gapped fine. and the airfuel screw was already 2 1/4 screws out which i guess is stardand. i hooked everything back up and it fired with the choke on revving high. i turned the choke off to adjust the idle screw and it died. i kicked it and messed with the idle screw for about an hour and i couldnt get it to fire again. i dont know whats next!? that night when it was dying me on every atempt for a doenut i rember that i was havin a hard time starting againg until i took the cap off one my other 200x's and it started up again fine. but has now just gone back to dying and not starting
any help is much aprreciated

Greaser1
08-02-2011, 05:53 PM
okay so i took the carb off and cleaned the hell out of it. nothing was plugged up, float was at the correct height. the spark plugg was gapped fine. and the airfuel screw was already 2 1/4 screws out which i guess is stardand. i hooked everything back up and it fired with the choke on revving high. i turned the choke off to adjust the idle screw and it died. i kicked it and messed with the idle screw for about an hour and i couldnt get it to fire again. i dont know whats next!? that night when it was dying me on every atempt for a doenut i rember that i was havin a hard time starting againg until i took the cap off one my other 200x's and it started up again fine. but has now just gone back to dying and not starting
any help is much aprreciated

PM sent, give me a shout.