PDA

View Full Version : snapped my shifter off my 1985 klt 110

Vermont Woods
07-30-2011, 03:26 PM
i was riding my new 3 wheeler for the first time yesterday I made it about 2 miles up the trail shifting through all the gears and as I was going up a hill and downshifting it all of the sudden got stuck inbetween gears and started to roll back down the hill.. I look down and the shifter just falls off... it looks like it snapped right off in the inside of it but there is still some of the (rod) not sure of the proper name of the part sticking out past the clutch cover where the lever is mounted to.... but that bad new is it looks like the teeth or grooves? are stripped... What is that part called and how can I fix this problem? Do I need a new shifter and rod that it slides onto to get back on the trail? and where can I buy the part?

Vermont Woods
07-30-2011, 03:28 PM
now it is stuck in 3rd gear and I cant do anything about it with the shifter off... I tried vice grips to move the rod back to neurtal but it would not budge. Thoughts?

jordan_muirhead
07-30-2011, 03:45 PM
I beleive the (rod) you are referring to is the shifter shaft....i have the same problem on my 185s, I need ths shaft and shifter, if its stripped you might too.....not sure about what to do if its stuck in gear

Nubbinz
07-30-2011, 04:02 PM
have you tried rocking it while shifting ? old trans sometimes need to be moving slightly to shift you can try bolting the shift lever on as hard as it will go, and maybe put some jb weld on the teeth on the shaft, before you bolt it down, if its not totally stripped that might work otherwise u need a new shifter shaft and shift lever... just be sure to torque your new one real good so it dosnt strip out your new shaft... kawi parts are hard to get, good luck finding a new shaft if you take that road... any old shifter should clamp onto the shaft tho, just buy one off a parted out honda 110 for like 5 bucks on ebay

buster-717
07-30-2011, 04:57 PM
thats a very common problem with the klt 110 i have one sitting in my garage that needs the shifter shaft too. its broken off the same way you mention.

Vealmonkey
07-30-2011, 05:16 PM
I keep trying to tell everyone that the weak shifter shafts are the main problem on the klt110s. Does anybody listen? Buy ever shifter shaft you can get at the dealer.

Vermont Woods
08-01-2011, 06:55 PM
i found a klt 200 shifter shaft on ebay will that work for my smaller 110? it looks the same?? i also looked on bikebandit.com they sell them but cost an arm and a leg... yeah my shifter shaft broke on the inner knob and previous owner took a self tapping screw to it to make it look better when I bought it... it shifted fine for the first ten minutes of riding and then it just snapped under the pressure.... I was able to get the self tapping screw out and dug out the end of the shifter shaft from the lever with some needle nose pliers. both the lever and whats left of the shifter shaft appear stripped I tried mounting it but its a no go.... I need both the lever and the shaft unless I weld... which I dont want too....

kylegrimes
08-01-2011, 07:51 PM
O wow i have herd a lot of good thinks about the klt 110s but the shifter shafts allways seem to be the problem how hard is it to do this maybe you could post pics of each step you have you take to do it i also have one and mine looks like its welded on it seems to shift fine but i dont want to be stuck with out a trike if it does

jordan_muirhead
08-01-2011, 07:53 PM
check the classifieds section, and evilbay if you dont find anything there

three_wheelin45
08-01-2011, 07:56 PM
like stated the "rod" is the shift shaft. I feel ya pain, im currently replacing the "shift shaft" on my bayou 220 right now and had to replace it on my 87 200x. Its prety simple really just remember what goes where. Good luck to ya man ;)

Vermont Woods
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
come friday I am buying both a new shifter shaft and a shifter from bike bandit. no luck on ebay and the classified section on here says "private"

jordan_muirhead
08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
good luck to ya, after i get some things sorted out ill do the same

buster-717
08-03-2011, 05:22 PM
how much are they on bike bandit, and did they have them in stock?

Vermont Woods
08-03-2011, 05:59 PM
yeah they have them and they are just about 45.00 for each the lever and shift shaft

MonroeMike
08-03-2011, 11:35 PM
There's a manual link in this thread, if you need it.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?127027-KLT110-amp-KLF110-Service-Data

Vermont Woods
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
i heard atc parts are the same... could I get away with one of there shifter shafts? they are more common and I can find them a lot cheaper? just a thought before I went out and got a more expensive klt one