PDA

View Full Version : KLT 185 atc for 75 bucks ??

Toledo_Tommy
07-29-2011, 09:48 PM
I can pick this up for $75.00 , needs rings and he has al the parts to put it back together. If i get it i think it will get a piston and rings tho or part out. What you guys think ? Are the parts to this hard to find ? Worth fixing ? He said the front shocks are tight and still work great , gas tank has no rust. Only reason i'm second guessing this bike is because i got 2 other projects in the works now.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/unpure_photo/klt185.jpg

Modding_out
07-29-2011, 11:59 PM
keep it for sure! The 185's are the best klt that kawi ever made and some what of a rare trike;very strong runners (easily keep pace with a 200cc-250cc) To bad they came to late in the game for kawi. If you find rings lmk were you bought them

shortline10
07-30-2011, 07:34 AM
If the tank has no rust or holes its worth 100.00 alone .

Vermont Woods
07-30-2011, 09:54 AM
if you part it out lemme know... i need a foot shifter (mine broke yesterday while riding), both brake and clutch levers with cables... all air box components including the filter, seat hardware, gas tank....

Toledo_Tommy
07-30-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm going to pick it up now , i'll let you know.

Modding_out
07-30-2011, 10:37 AM
it's a complete bike...don't you dare part it out, I resurrected mine from the dead in worse shape than that......the carb was hanging of the size in 12 pieces the seat f'ed up the plastic mismatched, 2 dry rotted and flat tires, gas tank is missing cap and has a hole in it that could have only been made by a chery bomb the exhaust was rusted into 3 pieces, all cables rusted solid and rear brakes were rusted to the axle.....and did I mention it was literally growing moss and mold? I pulled the covers only to fimd out that the under neath all that grim the engine was mint. all it took was a carb rebuild and a shot of ether to make it run and the rest is history after I started fixing it......and I've only spend $50 on it and that was to get some one to rewind that massive recoil spring. The rest I fixed either by elbow grease and home made parts. try that with a honda:twisted:

YamahaRampage
07-30-2011, 12:24 PM
That's a great deal worst case scenario you part it out and tripple your money atleast

Toledo_Tommy
07-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah. I just got home with it and i didn't spend 75 bucks for it , I got it for 60.00 bucks ! The only thing she is missing is the airbox but every thing else is there . The bad /is the motor , it needs a bore , piston , rings , and valve. The front shocks are mint and so is the gas tank , and trans , I will be parting this out tho. Did they make all these with reverse ? This one has it and shifts through all the gears great , so the trans is good. Stll have to figure out what year it is tho.

shortline10
07-30-2011, 01:26 PM
What you want for the gas tank ? I got one in that the PO used a ton of JB weld on it to seal leaks LOL .

Modding_out
07-30-2011, 01:37 PM
I wan to kill you right about now. there is no reason to part it out x( That sound like an awesome bike to restore, klt klf parts don't sell for alot on ebay , so you just going to kill the bike and be left with a useless hulk of a frame. if you want to strip parts and make profit them go buy a busted honda. at least they made 100'sof thousands of those instead of a only a 1 or 2 thousand like the klts:(

shortline10
07-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Good way to get a vacation their killer .

I wan to kill you right about now. there is no reason to part it out x( That sound like an awesome bike to restore, klt klf parts don't sell for alot on ebay , so you just going to kill the bike and be left with a useless hulk of a frame. if you want to strip parts and make profit them go buy a busted honda. at least they made 100'sof thousands of those instead of a only a 1 or 2 thousand like the klts:(

Modding_out
07-30-2011, 01:56 PM
prolly not the best choice of words since I don't actually want to kill him.....

Hows this "I really think that if you part it you'll be making a rather bad decision and unfortunately will be killing a good project for some one who cares; that sounds like an awesome bike to res......."

Toledo_Tommy
07-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Sorry you feel that way but i have too many other projects going on right now , including a klt 110 that i decided to save rather than part out. On the other hand look at it this way , if it weren't for people still parting out these machines. Alot of people would never get to complete their projects or get parts for their klt and there for part out their own bike. I look at it as being a sort of organ donor , with out some of the parts off this bike . Your bike might not ever be ridden again , with that being said . . . . The gas tank is very solid and has some sort of white glossy coating on the inside of it , no rust in the tank at all !

I ran the vin number and it turns out that this is a 1986 KLT 185

Modding_out
07-30-2011, 02:35 PM
I under stand were your coming from but also consider that the klt 110 is significantly less desirable machine...they were made for a wee bit longer than just one year like the 185's:lol:

Can't go wrong for $ 60.....60+60 = 120 spent and a tottal of $580 in pocket after selling for $600....just say'in;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-KLF-KLF185-KLT185-Good-Cylinder-and-Piston-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c2e211d9QQitemZ11064 3778009QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

edit : there all 86's...it's the only year they were made.

shortline10
07-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Pm me with a price on the tank . Thanks .

Sorry you feel that way but i have too many other projects going on right now , including a klt 110 that i decided to save rather than part out. On the other hand look at it this way , if it weren't for people still parting out these machines. Alot of people would never get to complete their projects or get parts for their klt and there for part out their own bike. I look at it as being a sort of organ donor , with out some of the parts off this bike . Your bike might not ever be ridden again , with that being said . . . . The gas tank is very solid and has some sort of white glossy coating on the inside of it , no rust in the tank at all !

I ran the vin number and it turns out that this is a 1986 KLT 185

Toledo_Tommy
07-30-2011, 09:05 PM
The gas tank was rattle can painted and it looked like crap so I strip the old paint off and started to wet sand. Once I get it all cleaned up and painted with some primer it will be ready, this is going to be a really nice tank. No rust at all on the inside , no dents , and will be no rust at all on the outside.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/unpure_photo/tank.jpg