PDA

View Full Version : Trade 86 200x for 85 tri-z 250

Gladiroth
07-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Alright so i have a neighbor who wants to trade me a 85 tri-z 250 for my 200x because he used to have one and loved them i guess. the 85 looks good and everything i havnt test drove it though. needs the carb cleaned so were gonna wait. but im just wondering your guys opinion on it

Kale
07-25-2011, 02:38 PM
If it where in my area, I'd say take the 200x plus $500-$1000 depending on the condition of the machines. In your area, pricing and rarity of machines will very likely be different though.

slaughter
07-25-2011, 05:57 PM
the Z's are harder to come by at least in my area but it is a lot easier to find parts for hondas

Tri-Z 250
07-25-2011, 09:47 PM
The rare factor....I would say the 86'X is a better resale collector peice than the 85'Z
86'Z would switch the collector scale.
Parts...both have items that can be difficult to find
86'X try and find a rear axle, in a plus 4" or the carrier for that matter in new condition
85'Z clutch basket, cylinder heads, rear shocks all these can be found, but are hard to come by new...yes Sprock racing had made a few items but even those are hard to come by. The rear shocks are prone to blowout and can be expensive to replace with aftermarket(you can go used warrior unit off ebay between 65-100) front tires on the Z have limited choices
2stroke vs 4stroke...this debate has gone on forever...lets just stay clear of that.

I have Z's....my least favorite has to be the 85' just due to the Steeler's colors...it did symbolize the 1st of it's kind for Yamaha, and set the stage for the elite 250 racer.

The 86'X is the last of it's breed more advanced frame and suspension(to earlier models) plus the classic red white and blue. The earlier models pony up a little better just due to aftermarket for all those years of unchange.

I call my 86'X Buddy because it's the best buddy bike to lend out to a friend...the Z's nobody rides unless they're an experanced trike rider. The soft power makes the X fun to ride and less likely to get out of control. The Z's can be a handfull at the wrong moments if your not ready for the powerband. I can't really make a choice for you but I like the X for what it is...just alot of fun packaged in pleanty of suspension.
I love the Z for motor and spacious ergonomics, but it lacks suspension in stock form at least from a standpoint of crappy stock rear shocks. The front forks on the 85-85.5Z's weren't that much better, but can be fixed with $....So if your looking for a racer and want to fix the quirks go Z....I would never let go of Buddy he's just too fun.
Trading....??? I think I'd get a job and buy the Z with cash and have 2 3wheelers that way it's win win for you!

gomer202
07-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Personally I'm a Honda person but i think I would trade for the TRI-Z

jays375
07-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Tri-Z 250 gave a really good explanation.

Gladiroth
07-28-2011, 04:12 PM
thx guys. orignally the guy was gonna give methe tri-z plus his 200x which just needed a motor. if that was the case i wouldve traded in a heart beat cuz i have a spare engine