PDA

View Full Version : shifter shaft

jordan_muirhead
07-23-2011, 02:33 PM
does anybody know how difficult it is to replace the shifter shaft in a 185s? mine is stripped....Ive had a vice grip for a shifter for a few weeks..gonna order a new shifter soon..and i found a shifter shaft on eBay for relatively cheap i think...just was wondering what all it involved and if it could be done in a few hours.....

H2Sbass
07-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I can't really tell you but I would love to know. I've been running a "vice-grip" shifter for a few weeks now as well on my 110. Stupid pinch bolt broke off when I was tightening it one day.

1984 honda 200s
07-23-2011, 02:45 PM
It is really a long process to replace that shifter shaft, you have to open up the bottom half of the engine... If it was mine i would do like in my case tighten the bolt up to the max on the shifter, set it in the right position and slightly weld the end of it on. I got my cousin to do that to my 200s, it worked great, but if you have to replace and seals like the shift shaft seal, you would have to file the weld off... it can be done, and it doesnt reuin anything. and if you choose this rout, get somebody that has experience welding so thay dont make a mess of it.

jordan_muirhead
07-23-2011, 02:57 PM
ok, i was considering this, but it will be a few weeks before he comes back into town.....vice grip for now....but i DO need to rebuild my pull start next...and a coil wire....oh...what to choose:D
Im thinking, weld shifter, put new rope in pull-start for the moment...and get NEW coil...what you guys think, cuz i can even crank it after it rains cuz the wire has a place where it was cut and i guess my great uncle or somebody taped it up
Quick question....What is the certificate of origin for? i have mine with all my vehicle titles in a box....just wondering what it was for or if it was any good? my name was the last name that would fit on the back

scruffy390
07-23-2011, 03:06 PM
It is not that difficult to replace. Remove the Right side clutch cover, gear shift and it slides out from the right side. You do NOT have to split the case which is very involved. Don't forget to drain the oil first and have a new clutch
cover gasket ready

jordan_muirhead
07-23-2011, 03:09 PM
oh...so that's it? i can do that.....might be a few weeks tho, just spend a Saturday doing all this...adjusting valves...shifter shaft...and change oil

tri again
07-23-2011, 06:06 PM
I've gotten lucky with shift levers by cutting the space
where it pinches together to give it more room to bite.

Seems like they almost bottom out before they pinch tighten all the way.

On one the kids trikes, I actually mounted the shifter in a vertical position so they
couldn't STOMP on it but had to shift by hand.

That'll teach 'em.

In 1985, they changed shift pattern to a pull UP to get into gear,
MAYbe for that reason.

jordan_muirhead
07-23-2011, 07:28 PM
lol, thats funny.....does anybody know where i can get some red paint besides pj1? not having good luck finding it

H2Sbass
07-24-2011, 02:39 PM
I've gotten lucky with shift levers by cutting the space
where it pinches together to give it more room to bite.

Seems like they almost bottom out before they pinch tighten all the way.

On one the kids trikes, I actually mounted the shifter in a vertical position so they
couldn't STOMP on it but had to shift by hand.

That'll teach 'em.

In 1985, they changed shift pattern to a pull UP to get into gear,
MAYbe for that reason.

Sweet, a suicide shifter, now the bike's a badtrailprotrailprotrailpro custom :twisted: