PDA

View Full Version : Who ported your tri-z?

Michwolv60
07-18-2011, 09:13 PM
It time to finally build that motor, and ive come to a dilema when it comes to the cylinder. First thought was to send it to laz at gt thunder. I got his price for the work hes gonna do, I just wanna see who you guys recommend and which kinda porting. I know the wrench reports loses bottom end, and I want it to still be trailable so I'm just seeing what else everyone has done. I appreciate anyones response and if you could just tell me who did it (company or person) I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

MOTOMAX27
07-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Ive heard good things of JASON HALL.. He will do my next port job.

El Camexican
07-18-2011, 11:52 PM
I hope you find someone to do a good job. You are doing the right think asking around for satisfied customers. I've always done my own porting. It eliminates me being upset with the results:) When it comes to 2 strokes I typicaly don't make big changes. Polishing, smoothing edges and removing defects like intake manifolds that are smaller than the carb, matching gaskets etc. can make a huge difference. On the Tri-Z I've read that adding the transfer port and raising the exhaust port just a little won't hurt the bottom end (stage 1) and the stock cylinder is really rough where the ports and cylinder meet, so get that cleaned up at the same time and that may be all you need.

Tri-Z 250
07-19-2011, 04:05 PM
^^I like that advise plus it's an excuse to get that long belt air driven grinder you've always wanted. Just remember to just take a little and leave some for next time. Being that you want to trail it. IMO lots of port work can lead to finiky motors that can be high strung with a wicked snap to the powerband. Open desert, drag, hillshooter, flattrack TT, oval, sure you can use it. The managable motor wins in the trail because it doesn't wear my arms out trying to hold on to an animal. Trails offer tight off camber muddy conditions which real pipey motors hate...not to mention the beating the clutch may take. Goodluck with your build...I've heard good things about both too.

El Camexican
07-19-2011, 10:44 PM
I'll add to that if you are planning on doing your own porting there are a few beginers rules that will help keep you from making a boat anchor:
- Don't remove material from the bottom of the intake or exhaust ports (AKA the floors) Polish if you want, but dont flatten any lumps, or change the general shape of anything
- Don't widen the exhaust port much if at all. Too much and you could hook a ring
- Rather than change the shape of anything try to make it smooth by using the lowest point of the area as the stoping point for material removal. A shot of machinist die is a great way to mark it out. Paint it and then start polishing. When you start running out of paint spots its time to back off the grinding
- Polishing the exhaust helps flow in theory, but it also keeps crud from building up and makes it easier to clean later
- Some people say polishing the intake ports can actualy be detrimental as it fuel can ball up on the smooth surface, so don't spent too much time making the shiny
- Raising the exhaust port typicaly raises the peak of power band, but this can also be done by adding an extra base gasket. To the contrast shaving the head typicaly lowers the peak of the power band.
- If you haven't got the cash for the good tools try a variable speed drill with the sand paper rings and rubber holders from Dremel. Low speed sand paper is way more forgiving that a 10,000RPM carbide bit. Put duct tape on the chuck or collet if you think you might ding something.
- Keep in mind that unless you are way to skilled at porting to be reading this you likley can't get into all those hard to reach small sports, so don't make the areas you can reach big if you can't keep it all in propiortion. It would be like putting a Holley Double pumper on a lawnmower. Think about perfecting what the factory made rather than changing it and you can't go wrong. There is at least 5% more HP available by eliminating the short comings of a mass produced engine, so find that first and then decide if you are willing to risk a smaller power band by making more changes.
- And finaly remember that if you do get radical you need to open up all the holes, air box, carb, pipe, silencer. It all has to work together.

Mosh
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
JASON HALL ported my Z cylinder. And about 4 other cylinders for me. They all haul the mail.
My z cylinder was mild ported for midrange hit and a little top end. I had him only keep one boost port. He also put a O ring pipe groove in the snout too.
Great prices too, anyhting from mild to wild..Contact him!

El Camexican
07-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Nice work on that o-ring. That is not easy to machine (at least not the first one).