PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reputable machine shop - Metro Detroit

wonderboy
07-18-2011, 09:38 AM
I have to have an 85 250R cylinder re-sleeved. Can anyone recommend a shop in the metro detroit area? I know of machine shops, but have never had them do 2-stroke engine work. I just want a shop that knows what they are doing. I'm in Livonia, so the closer the better.

Thanks!

wonderboy
07-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Wow, I've made a few calls today to places I know, and you'd think I was asking to rebuild the Space Shuttle Main Engine or something. It seems no machine shops do this work. One local (major) powersports dealership said he didn't even have a contact for doing such a thing...

I did find one place (for anyone else who searches and finds this post): Motoman in Canton, MI. They will send out your parts (cylinder, sleeve, piston) and for $160 send you back your jug (and piston) ready to bolt on and go. I didn't ask them if that included chamfering the port edges like you are supposed to do (should have).

Anyway, still open to suggestions...

jadamek02
07-18-2011, 05:15 PM
There is a very reputable machine shop in Richmond, TX (near Houston) that does this type of work. The owner told me that other machine shops send him their customers' cylinders to be sleeved. If you are going to have to travel far, or utilize a machine shop that will send it out anyway - give this guy a try.

Harold's Automotive Machine Shop
1039 FM 359 Rd, Richmond, TX
(281) 342-4514

Harold himself answers the phone most of the time and is very knowledgeable in regards to re-sleeving.

wonderboy
07-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Excellent. Yes, I agree, if the local shops are just going to send it out anyway, I might as well send it myself directly. Thanks for the lead!