PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250sx kickstarter

tmecars
10-27-2003, 10:26 PM
My Dad has an 85 250sx that wont engage gear. We've never taken one of these apart before. The shifter simply flops around and wont engage the gears. What does it sound like is wrong? What can we expect when we start disassemblying the bike??

THanks

T

Tri-Z Pilot
10-28-2003, 12:49 AM
Get a manual, it will have step by step procedures for tearing down your tranny. It sounds like you have a bad shift fork or stripped out shifter shaft.

Howdy
10-28-2003, 08:52 AM
This could be a fairly easy fix. What it sounds to be like is the shifting mechanisim right inside the left side case is messed up.
Going on past experiance with these machines I would bet the one bolt has come loose. The bolt I am talking about is Number 21 in the picture below.

The bolt holds the Shifter drum center to the shifter drum. If this bolt comes loose the shifter will not work properly. 90% of the time the shifter won't work at all.

To fix the problem the problem remove the left side cover and a few other little parts for the shifter and replace and or tighten the bolt. It's a rather easy fix. Shouldn't take more than 1 hour.

I hope this helps.
Howdy

kdagenais
10-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Are you having troubles with the kickstarter not engaging or the gearshifter not working? The reason I am asking cause the subject for this post is 1985 250SX Kickstarter.

Howdy
10-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Are you having troubles with the kickstarter not engaging or the gearshifter not working? The reason I am asking cause the subject for this post is 1985 250SX Kickstarter.

I noticed that also. He mentioned gears and I took it as the shifter. If the kickstarter doesn't work that is a whole different repair all together. ;)
Howdy