PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck sucks.one small problem problem turns into big long problem

dear140
07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
writing this more just to see if anything like this has happened to any of you guys than anything else.

sooo about a month and a half ago i ordered a pair of piston rings took about 5 days to come, then one came broke... re ordered they came, didnt fit my piston at all. the dealer ordered me wiseco piston rings instead of standard like i told him. oh well. so were at about 10 days so far. so i order standard rings and take it to a machine shop to get it honed, while im there i'm told that it needs to be bored and it will be $40 bucks instead of $10 for honing. you know what comes with boring.... a new piston, so machinists says to go 20 over wiseco, i do $120 dollar piston kit. another two days, plus i didnt go to get it honed until the day before the standard rings came so four more days, we're up to 16 business days here. it comes and i give it to machinist he bores 20 over the next morning( this morning) i get a call saying how my rings sat in one spot so long that there is a perfect circle in the cylinder wall, and i need a 40 over. awesome. so i just ordered it over the phone, 20 percent restocking fee of 24 dollars, and i need to order the 40 over whish is 136 dollars...120 dollars paid - 24 dollar restocking= 96 dollars. new piston kit is 136 dollars so thats another $40 dollars. so $64 more dollars with the restocking fee added on. and it wont come in till tuesday in 4 more business days. 21 business days final. and a lot of unneeded money in surprises and restocking fees. I feel better now that i wrote this haha. you guys ever have anything like this happen?

H2Sbass
07-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Haven't personally had this happen. I've only done a couple of rebuilds, what I do is hone or bore the cylinder untill it is usable, then take it to the nearest oversize before ordering my new piston. If you want some sympathy frustration, I have done 3 200's where after boring till usable they mic out to bigger than all oversizes and become a whole lot of wasted time and effort. ( I'm not a big fan of running sleeves )

dougspcs
07-14-2011, 12:21 PM
I hate to say it but it sounds like a list of 'cart before the horse' mistakes..this is what they refer to as the crystal ball method (ordering parts for your repair in advance). I doesn't work that well for me either..

But I suppose you know that now!!

dear140
07-14-2011, 01:13 PM
ya i do now. although the machinist said he needed my piston to do his work. just sucks now.

H2Sbass
07-14-2011, 01:31 PM
In no way should your machinist "need" your piston in order to do the work. Every overbore is a predetermined size. You bore the cylinder to that size. The piston will be smaller than the bore size anyway. It is not a friction fit, the rings are but not the piston.

rdlsz24
07-14-2011, 01:34 PM
My machinist wouldn't bore without having the piston there either. I think that is a pretty standard procedure

Rob

dear140
07-14-2011, 02:34 PM
ya i didnt think he needed it either, but he said he would want it to make sure everything is fitting perfectly.

HondaRidr
07-15-2011, 02:18 AM
You need to have the piston so that it gets bored for that specific piston. Just because its a .020 over piston doesnt mean its exactly that size.

Xpress
07-15-2011, 02:58 AM
Yes, the piston needs to be there so they can get everything squared away. Also it helps to check the fit.

bkm
07-15-2011, 08:53 AM
In no way should your machinist "need" your piston in order to do the work. Every overbore is a predetermined size. You bore the cylinder to that size. The piston will be smaller than the bore size anyway. It is not a friction fit, the rings are but not the piston.

You put way to much trust in companies to think that every piston under the sun is made the exact same size. I wouldn't take squat to a Machinist who says he can bore your cylinder without the measuring the new piston first.

sledcrazyinCT
07-15-2011, 09:01 AM
You put way to much trust in companies to think that every piston under the sun is made the exact same size. I wouldn't take squat to a Machinist who says he can bore your cylinder without the measuring the new piston first.

NO DOUBT!:wondering

Scootertrash
07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Yuppers!! My machinist wants the piston before he bores also and, like BKM, I wouldn't take my work to a machinist who didn't measure the piston prior to boring.

WilliamJ
07-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Sorry to say your machinist screwed up there. He should have picked up the ring shadow when he inspected the bore and made sure of the size.
Not your fault but it cost you anyway.
Bill

bkm
07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm in no way, shape, or form a machinist, but how could a ring shadow not be cleaned up with a .020 overbore. I think he screwed up on the bore and went too far, now he needs to go to the next size and is using that as an excuse. But I could be wrong and lord knows I have been many times in the past.

muthey
07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I am in agreement there with bkm, a real machinist would have been able to tell if the first bore wasn't going to take care of the problem before he even machined it, is why we have tools to measure with. The guy may do nice clean work but he should have measured and told you that a simple .020 over wasn't going to be enough

dear140
07-18-2011, 06:45 PM
not in his defense, but it was sitting for years before, so the rings were in one spot for 5?years