PDA

View Full Version : 350x timing marks wrong?

twitch101
07-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Last night i was out doin a valve adjust to try and fix a ticing (pita). Idles rough now so i gotta take off the rocker box to get a good feel. But, i noticed the T doesnt line up when its supposed. When lined up the rockers would be tight. So i turned until i saw both rockers go loose then did my adjustment. Is it possible thats the flywheel or cam is in wrong? It runs strong even with the crap adjustment i did.

Also, anyone know the manual page for replacing the timing chain? Cant find it

devilman
07-10-2011, 03:13 PM
When you get it lined up with the "T" and the rockers aren't loose, go another 360 to the "T" and it should work. Just did this on mine

twitch101
07-10-2011, 03:24 PM
mine still didnt. they got lose about 90 after. i ended up just watching the valves til they wete loose and doing it. need to readjust cause i cant get a feel for it in that tight spot. any tips in that guys? the exhaust valves were easier. btw im doing this in the bike

ailll1
07-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Timing way off?

Dirtcrasher
07-10-2011, 05:40 PM
They could be too tight. I routinely back them way off and then find "T", then go another rotation if I can see rockers moving. Make certain you aren't mistaking "F" for "T". The only way "T" is off is if the cam chain isn't on/inline with the cam timing or the flywheel key is sheared (rare on a 350X). If this was a running motor, that valve timing should be fine and more than likely you were too tight or on "F".

twitch101
07-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Its hard to verify the letter but i guess they were too tight. It ripped. I guess ill line up the t again and loosen them. Is the t going to be on the top or bottom. I see 2 lines and somewhere else there is 2 letters i thought one was i. Anyways, looks like i blew a shock seal in my 500 mile commute today. I had oil sprayed out on my wheel from the fork. Am i out of commision on riding it now? It still feels fine...

devilman
07-10-2011, 08:51 PM
It ripped???

after you see the 2 lines, next will come the F and then the T.

twitch101
07-10-2011, 09:02 PM
i didnt get to look at it real close in the back of my truck. the boot looked good so im not sure where it came from. that was just the closest thing i could come up with.

Dirtcrasher
07-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I think it had a trikeasm, glad it missed your eye :lol:

Yes, it fires "F" before "T"...... you want the second line. It does suk that the flywheels are tough to read unless you pull the cover and dremel the line in place. Thats why I normally use a straw in the spark plug hole to confirm TDC..............

twitch101
07-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Sounds like a plan dc. Well im going to be replacing the timing chain and i cant find it in the manual. Can i do it while its in the frame? Ill be at a friends and wont be able to take a break. Remove the clutch and oil pump. From there how do i make sure its timed once in place? I wont be removing the sprocket so just TDC and lobes down? Im tryin to keep it alive dc i know you hate holding hands and i seriously cant find it in the manual

Nvm im an asshat. The manual on the ipad doesnt make it obvious it skips with shortcuts