PDA

View Full Version : 1983 200X timing: static vs timing light

ctbale
07-09-2011, 10:17 AM
After I got the motor together, I did the timing per the book, I lined up the pulsar's two lines, with the crank at the "F" mark, pretty simple (oh yea, advancer is like new) I did the "oil in my face" timing light method, and the light tells me to advance (CW) the backing plate ... almost to the stops?! Seems to idle better if I go with the timing light, but its a huge difference between what the light says versus the marks in the pulsar. Anyone else familiar with if or how these two procedures get you different results? Dont want to fry my new motor before its time.

ctbale
07-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I might just go with the marks, and maybe get a better timing light down the road ...

BigRed_Ryno
07-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Well I was thinking the same, I dont have a timing light, Ive timed my 200x up pretty much perfectly on the marks, so it should be 'ok' Im just a bit paranoid about it as it gets hot pretty quickly when I start it up in the shed. I dont think ive got anything to worry about tbh whats the worst that can happen?? It seems to bog a plug after a while but I think thats because it runs a bit rich on idle.... suppose i'll find out at (uk) trikefest next weekend..........

ctbale
07-11-2011, 01:50 AM
Seems the marks are retarded relative to what my light says, so the marks are conservative, wont hurt the motor, at least thats how it looks on my engine. Honda might have done that because lots of people just line up the marks and run it. Mine soots up a plug pretty quickly, I need to rebuild the carb, then jet it.