PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trying to build a chopper trike

falloutboy
07-06-2011, 02:21 AM
A while back (6-12 months ago I think it was) I found an ad on craigslist for a pair of ATC's (All Terrain Choppers). I really liked how they looked and the idea of the chopper trike has been floating around in the back of my head ever since. I was also able to find a video of what I'm pretty sure is the same pair of trikes.

warning: man ass at 1:30 :wondering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geAkq4Om23s

Anyway, I'm trying to think of what it would take to build on of these machines.
I can tell from the video that those ATChoppers have:

-probably 200x front forks- no front brake
-either heavily modified or custom frame. at 2:05 in the video it looks like the rear is no suspension with a drum brake. At 2:28 the down tube right behind the motor makes me think it's a 200x frame.
-Probably a 185s/200s motor.
-not sure on the gas tank, they may have juat painted the original ATC tank or possibly some kind of chopper tank.
-pit bike type exhaust?

I think this would be a sweet ride for around camp, running around, etc. It would have been perfect at Sandfest I know. What makes me want to do it even more is the fact I have a bunch of the parts I would need.

-200x front end
-200x and a 200s frame with the axle and carrier
-Possibly a gas tank

I would need to do some digging on an engine, my cousin has what is either 200cc or 250cc automatic clutch honda RFVC chain drive engine. I'm thinking it even has reverse. If that wouldn't work I know a guy that has a bunch of 185/200S stuff.

So basically once I get all the parts in one place I could have a rolling chasis. The next and the most labor intensive part would be figuring out the geometry of what the frame needs to be.

Anybody know more about the trikes in the video? Ideas you might have? This is purely an idea at this point but I would like to build it eventually...

350XJEDI
07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
i dont see the video

Xpress
07-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Seems like it might get uncomfortable to ride offroad after a while with you sitting at that angle. I know it's good on the road, but offroad is totally different.

Dirtcrasher
07-06-2011, 10:28 PM
200X forks bend so damn easy, I cannot imagine they were running them or at the least, they stayed straight.........

Xpress
07-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Hey, I've ran my 200x through the roof and have yet to bend 200x forks :D

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
07-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I usually don't like the chopper trikes that pop up on here from time to time but those look sweet. I'm not saying they'd be comfortable for hours on end but they're just for screwing around camp or the pits they're for looks not a all day rider.

falloutboy
07-08-2011, 03:45 AM
I usually don't like the chopper trikes that pop up on here from time to time but those look sweet. I'm not saying they'd be comfortable for hours on end but they're just for screwing around camp or the pits they're for looks not a all day rider.

I agree with you. There is one, I think it's a 185S or something, where they extended the neck up a little and added about 3 or 4 feet on to the front forks. And maybe some Ape hangers. That was it.

And to agree with pretty much everyone- Hell no, it would not be comfortable for any lengthy ride. It would pretty much be a pit bike. For running around camp or to the bathroom. At Sandfest it would be perfect because for the most part there is a lot of back and forth between camp and the main event area, which isn't very far but long enough to not to want to walk.

oh, and here's the link for the video if for whatever reason it wasn't showing up for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geAkq4Om23s&feature=feedf

leviblue
07-08-2011, 05:08 AM
cool project. I've been working on an old 110 as a rat type pit bike. Big light ,bars, odds and ends off anything that looks cool. Kinda tired at looking at the same old thing. sometimes it's cool to be the odd one