PDA

View Full Version : how to remove rear brake cover?

Crash104936221
10-27-2003, 03:58 AM
im trying to get the rear brake cover off my axle of my 81 200 atc
i have goten off the 2 nuts but the cover wont come off is there a trick? i need to pop it off becuse the brakes are draging i can barley turn the axle by hand (tires/hubs/chain off)

or could it be the bering starting are going/gone

thanks
Joe

Crash104936221
10-28-2003, 03:38 AM
guess its not a cover its the drum

there has to be a way comon guys

before i take and cut it off with a torch :twisted:

duno mabie i can drill some holes in it and pull it off with the puller i used on the rotor off

any help would be great even if its not a honda how do ya get yours off?

olive123
10-28-2003, 08:16 AM
there are axle bolts holding it on. unless yours is different than mine.
could be rusted shut. If you f*** it up let me know I have an extra drum cover. (send me a pic of yours first so I know it is the same)

Howdy
10-28-2003, 09:30 AM
When I have a stuck brake drum like this. I make sure everything is loose or removed that needs to be.
I then beat the axle through it. Use a Strong wood block on the end of the axle. You shouldn't need to beat the axle far to get the drum loose.

How ever if you Do need to beat the axle all the way through then you need to take the chain cover, chain and such off of the other side. ;)
Howdy

Crash104936221
10-28-2003, 09:33 PM
ok thanks

ya i have the hole axle/holder right off the bike

the 2 jam nuts are off and i stoof it on end and gave it ample amount of wd40 today around the drum sleeve

guess i will pound on it tomorow

thanks again
Joe

*edit*
went back down to the shop tonight and pounded away for about an hour with every thing from a 4x4 to a 8lb sledge and didnt it didnt budge :? :rolleyes: :?
gona try heating it up then pounding on it some more got get me some propane im out :( anyways hope the heat works