PDA

View Full Version : 125M broken case mount? what to do?

Jon Boy
07-03-2011, 02:21 PM
ok i was taking my motor out of the 125 to tighten up the valves and low and behold i find this while pulling it. the right half of lower rear mount broken off. any opinions on what i should do? can it be fixed? buy a new case? just stick it back in there when i put the motor back in and hope for the best? :rolleyes:
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/jonboy327/IMG_3680.jpg

EDIT: just found this a min ago. broke almost all the way around along the last heatshield bolt on the exhaust, about about a half inch of metal holding it. i'll just have my buddy weld this up next chance i guess. :lol:
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/jonboy327/IMG_3681.jpg

atc007
07-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Your cases can be welded also. CAREFULLY for warpage.

Thorpe
07-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Take it to a welding shop, and have them tig it up... Still gonna have to tear it doen becasue it will burn up your gasket...

4cylinders
07-03-2011, 07:01 PM
hey, jb weld.

Thorpe
07-03-2011, 11:20 PM
JB will not work for that....

Jon Boy
07-03-2011, 11:34 PM
my exhaust might get JB welded, but JB as in my buddy's initials. :lol:

ok, i've got it ready for teardown, any tips before i start gutting everything? can i just gut the right hand side to get that side off for welding or will it be a complete gutting/teardown? i have my repair manual on hand, but haven't really started digging into it yet. just been stripping the external bolt-ons, cleaning the case and prepping a work space. :lol:

Dirtcrasher
07-04-2011, 12:31 AM
That is a complete case split......

It was broke for awhile, you can tell from the dirt markings. Jam it back in there and tighten it down. No, it's not my typical advice but it's not gonna be cheap, easy or quick to fix that. It usually happens when the mount bolts are loose and or they seize and when they are smashed out, it snaps.

You have to take that engine out to adjust the valves??

Jon Boy
07-04-2011, 02:24 AM
my book says to take it out. with the motor in, i don't have a wrench that'll get into the opening for the top valve with the bottomside of the stamped steel frame getting in the way. thought i was only going to be just unhooking a few things to drop it down enough to get to it, when i saw the broken mount i figured i'd go ahead and pull it all the way.

the 2 opposing caps top/bottom just behind front motor mount. there's just enough room to get the top cap off.
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/jonboy327/IMG_2030.jpg

Jon Boy
07-05-2011, 11:44 AM
ok, so yesterday i was going to tighten my valves and the intake tappet nut is stripped out, i'm just gonna take it to the local 3 wheeler guru and let him replace tappets/tighten the valves for a few bucks (it's worth it to me). i'm gonna get his opinion as well on the broken mount. this guy mechanics on the side, he does good work at a decent price. his father was THEE guy around here when needing atc work and now his son basicly took things over for him. i know it won't be cheap, but can't hurt to see what he says.

Jon Boy
07-07-2011, 05:45 PM
went and picked up my motor about 30mins ago. the guy working on it replaced the stripped tappet and locknut. also got an estimate on the case. he has a 125 case split already from previous jobs. so there would be no welding, just replacing the right side transmission case. still involves complete case teardown.

used case half = $150
labor= 8hrs = $200 (tearing my case down then rebuilding it)
total= $350

well, i'd have to say it's not entirely as bad as i thought it was going to be at first, but that's still a good chunk of change for me.

Freeway1
07-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Well you have two options 1) Repair 2)look for another 125 motor as they are out there. I heard laflin 125cc's are pretty good motors but me I would look on the web for a running honda motor as you can always find'em. Good luck and remember getting a new motor could be cheaper then repairing yours because like stated before you gotta split the cases to do a good job and not a rig. And why it's open rebuild everything and make her mint motor wise. Just my 2 cents

just ben
07-07-2011, 07:47 PM
atleast 2 hrs of welding and grinding at 75 or better an hr and still have to get it back together. I would say if its worth that much to you go for the deal he had at 350.

Thorpe
07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
atleast 2 hrs of welding and grinding at 75 or better an hr and still have to get it back together. I would say if its worth that much to you go for the deal he had at 350.

WHAT??? 75+??? Our shop it was only 50/hr!!

Jon Boy
07-07-2011, 11:21 PM
na, he wouldn't mess with welding it when he's got a spare case already anyway. i'm thinking throw it back together and hope for the best for now and fix it when i can. if it does ever does seriously break hopefully it won't be to painful. :lol:

malibulvr
07-20-2011, 04:35 AM
I would just toss it back together and keep your eyes open for another 125, maybe a TRX125 with reverse.

Jon Boy
07-20-2011, 11:46 AM
if i have too, that is the plan. the low range is nice, but not exactly needed. the reverse would get way more use than the low range, but keeping it as original as possible would be nice.