PDA

View Full Version : Good Bead Breaker?

dirtface
07-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Does anyone have experience with the cheap($100.00 to $150.00) atv bead breakers? What is a good one, that actually works?

dougspcs
07-03-2011, 10:38 AM
A trick I learned once..

Remove the wheel and lay it flat on the ground on some wood, remove the valve stem, place a 4ft long 2x6 like a ramp from the ground to the edge of the rim. Using a spotter person to tell you when to stop, use your car and drive slowly up the 2x6 and let the weight of the vehicle pop the tire off the bead. Back down, get your spotter to rotate the rim and repeat, then flip it and do the same on the other side.

Then muscle the tire off the rim with soapy water..

Maybe not for people to want to change tires all the time, but for occasional Joe it works and is cheaper than a bead breaker..

bigred44
07-03-2011, 10:39 AM
http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/TSI-HH-419.html

I've had good luck with this type. Might be able to find one cheaper somewhere else.

250rRoostmaster
07-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Exactly what i do and it works like a champ!!
A trick I learned once..

Remove the wheel and lay it flat on the ground on some wood, remove the valve stem, place a 4ft long 2x6 like a ramp from the ground to the edge of the rim. Using a spotter person to tell you when to stop, use your car and drive slowly up the 2x6 and let the weight of the vehicle pop the tire off the bead. Back down, get your spotter to rotate the rim and repeat, then flip it and do the same on the other side.

Then muscle the tire off the rim with soapy water..

Maybe not for people to want to change tires all the time, but for occasional Joe it works and is cheaper than a bead breaker..

Tippmann98
07-03-2011, 12:46 PM
I always drive onto my tires to break the bead too