PDA

View Full Version : Calling FAST Z28 and anyone else. YZ Dirtbike caliper swap on 250R.

Mosh
07-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I want to use this YZ/YZF dirtbike caliper swap on a 250R. I know it is a general bolt on for the 86 swinger.
Has anyone done this on a 85 swing arm without welding a pin for the bracket on the swingarm?

Xowner
07-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Mosh why not use 450r stuff? easy cheap and gonna be around for a long time! Plus that R wont run with yamaha parts on it!

Mosh
07-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Can your run the 450R brakes on a 85 or 86 r swinger?

Billy Golightly
07-02-2011, 11:42 AM
I just had all of that stuff here and my recollection is that the caliper itself has a different mounting pattern but if you use the carrier mount plate thing with it, it will work. The carriers are the same diameters.

Mosh
07-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Ok well that can work I suppose.
I just found my spare 86 Swinger. So I guess I can go the 450R route. I suppose I will just see what calipers are cheaper.
So the 450R carrier plate, and rear caliper, will work with a 250R rotor then and 86 250R carrier and axle?
This build Tammy is doing, needs all the rear brakes. So I figured I would just update all the stuff out back and run the Z 400 master cylinder swap. No sense in buying 25 year old parts for this build, since it will be far from OEM and probably more expensive to find decent ATC 250R brake stuff.

Dirtcrasher
07-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I didn't think the 450R caliper fit the 85 or 86 swinger, it's a single piston, but, maybe it does.....

I think maybe people were suggesting running a whole 450R rear end assembly; That caliper is like 87$ brand new, ya can't beat it!! But, 450R parts seem to be expensive and not selling lately. I got all my stuff dirt cheap....

But, if you have all your 85/86 parts otherwise, you may want to stick with the dirtbike caliper swap......

Xowner
07-02-2011, 05:38 PM
This are pics of my rear brake conversion on one of my 250R's. It was a very easy switch and much cheaper than replacing a stock 250R caliper, if they're still available. I will list the part numbers so anyone who is interested can price it out on Service Honda's site. At Honda retail it would cost about $200, but should be about $150-160 through Service. If you want to use an anti-fade, figure in the cost of a 450R unit. I had one on the quad with the original stock brake set-up, but it will not work with the 450 system. For the time being, I'll run a stock nut, but a 450R anti-fade is on the way. You will need a caliper sub-assembly, caliper stay (plate caliper mounts on), rear disc, disc hub, and rear brake pads. I was going to hold off on this until I purchased an anti-fade, but when I ordered the rear disc, it came with the stock hub. This is the first one I've seen come this way, I've replaced three rear discs on my 450 and none of them came with the hub. The only problem I ran into was the depth at which the 450 brake hub sat in the 250R carrier. Apparently 450 bearings are set deeper into the carrier. This required 2 8mm spacer washers between the caliper stay and the caliper. Be sure to have a micrometer handy to measure the thickness of these washers, since I just used some bulk washers I had in stock. Thickness isn't very critical, just as long as both washers are within a thousandth or two of each other. If your washers are different thicknesses (and I've noticed as much as .020") the pads will wear unevenly. Anything between .055 and .070 will work and this will put the disc in the center of the caliper bracket. I plan on doing the front conversion also. When I do, I will post pics, a parts list and any problems I encountered.

43150-HP1-006 caliper sub-assembly
43220-HP1-000 caliper stay
43251-HP1-003 rear disc with hub
Pads of your choice.

That was taken from exriders.com The cost might be a little more at 1st but i think its a great investment.

SWIGIN
07-02-2011, 10:43 PM
It's so much simpler to just use a front caliper off a YZ dirt bike IMO.

Then you get to stay with a twin piston caliper and no messy parking brake/block off to worry about.

Here is my thread on this swap.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?65919-250r-rear-brake-mod&highlight=

I also used the rear master clyinder from the same dirt bike and my rear brakes are VERY soild feeling.