PDA

View Full Version : How did you stumble across your "barn find"?

Beavis-Head
07-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Howdy Yall,

I'm getting in the market again for adding another trike to the collection. It seems like a fair amount of people here seem to find "just been sitting there in the corner of the barn for 25yrs" specials. I would really like to find something like this, and haven't had any luck asking around and what not. Obviously, craigslist and eBay has some good stuff but, it always seems every one knows what they have and want top dollar. Any pointers or experiences as such being shared would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
B-H

Tippmann98
07-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I was literally in a barn when I stumbled across my 250sx and my 200x I found on Craigslist. It had been sitting for 5/6 years in a barn.

TatTooL23
07-02-2011, 09:14 AM
My folks live in a very small town. No street lights some dirt roads, no grocery store....etc. Well they hold an auction every Saturday during the summer and anyone can just bring anything they want to get rid of, even just boxes of their junk. So throughout the week u can go and look at all the stuff piling up and kinda see if there is anything u might want to go and try to bid on, on Saturday. A sort of preview to the auction. So I live an hour away and was working and I get a voicemail from my mother afterward saying, "Hey just wanted to let u know I was down at the auction preview for this Saturday and there is a brand new red Honda 3 wheeler there for the auction on saturday." LOL! so this immediately being crazy to me because obviously 3 wheelers were banned in 1987. So I call my mom back and told her it can't be new because they haven't been produced since 1987. She replies by saying, "That's impossible this thing is new and shiny and clean." she said it's says like 185 in a blue stripe on the side of it. So I figured a 185S. So I then talked to my dad who knows a little more about motored things and asked him to go check it out and let me know. So he went down and called me right up and said u will never believe it but it's a 1982 185S with the rear rack in completely 100% OEM original shape with maybe 5 hours on it! No cracks, no rips, no fading. Just amazingly perfect. So I told my mom to bid on it for me. I just wanted it and money wasn't really an object so I just told her maybe bid up to $800 or so but whatever. So afterward they called me and she said that she won it for $850! Lol. There was just one other guy there that new what it was and was bidding against her. So after $800 she said she was so tied up in bidding against this guy from when it started at $400 that she couldn't back down. Lol.

So that's my story about my 1982 185S "barn find". An old woman had a couple guys bring it down cuz it was in her husbands barn for about 20 years. He passed away and it just sat in their barn out of the sunlight and in a pile of hay so it absorbed all the moisture and everything is mint.

So basically my mom even fuels my 3 wheeler addiction!

dirtflinger66
07-02-2011, 09:15 AM
I was at work when my brother called and sent a Craigslist find of a 84 200x and a 85 Tecate for $50.00. Scored them both and am now restoring them. I ride dirt bikes mainly but had to have the 200 i had as a kid and have always wanted a Tecate and was able to have both for dirt cheap. Thats what makes it fun....NOW I GOT THE ITCH!!

Jon Boy
07-02-2011, 10:31 AM
they're not mint, but well taken care of "Barn Finds" :lol:

had an elderly neighbor pass away who had this riding mower i wanted. i saw the mans son there going through stuff for the estate sale they were planning (2days, 3-5 ring auction, first day was nothing but guns and antique clocks, 2nd day everything else). anyway i had asked the son about the mower, so we started checking out the garages. last one we checked had a 125m sitting in the back corner almost hidden behind about 3 riding mowers. i said $200, he said $250. i agreed. took it home gave it a good cleaning, fresh battery, oil and gas was all i did.

buddy's 85 250es. some guy my buddy works with mentioned he had a 3 wheeler and would he be interested in buying it. it was dust covered, been sitting in this guys barn for about 5yrs, front flat tire and generally nasty looking overall, but he bought it for $500 anyway. after he got it home all it really needed was a rev cable, front brake cable, a good cleaning and fresh gas. the guy offer my buddy double to buy it back, now that he realized how good of a machine he sold. my buddy's not selling though. :lol:

gomer202
07-02-2011, 11:20 AM
My folks live in a very small town. No street lights some dirt roads, no grocery store....etc. Well they hold an auction every Saturday during the summer and anyone can just bring anything they want to get rid of, even just boxes of their junk. So throughout the week u can go and look at all the stuff piling up and kinda see if there is anything u might want to go and try to bid on, on Saturday. A sort of preview to the auction. So I live an hour away and was working and I get a voicemail from my mother afterward saying, "Hey just wanted to let u know I was down at the auction preview for this Saturday and there is a brand new red Honda 3 wheeler there for the auction on saturday." LOL!
so this immediately being crazy to me because obviously 3 wheelers were banned in 1987. So I call my mom back and told her it can't be new because they haven't been produced since 1987. She replies by saying, "That's impossible this thing is new and shiny and clean." she said it's says like 185 in a blue stripe on the side of it. So I figured a 185S. So I then
talked to my dad who knows a little more about motored things and asked him to go check it out and let me know. So he went down and called me right up and said u will never believe it but it's a 1982 185S with the rear rack in completely 100% OEM original shape with maybe 5 hours on it! No cracks, no rips, no fading. Just amazingly perfect. So I told my mom to bid on it for me. I just wanted it and money wasn't really an object so I just told her maybe bid up to $800 or so but whatever. So afterward they called me and she said that she won it for $850! Lol. There was just one other guy there that new what it was and was bidding against her. So after $800 she said she was so tied up in bidding against this guy
from when it started at $400 that she couldn't back down. Lol.

So that's my story about my 1982 185S "barn find". An old woman had a couple guys bring it down cuz it was in her husbands barn for about 20 years. He passed away and it just sat in their barn out of the sunlight and in a pile of hay so it absorbed all the moisture and everything is mint.

So basically my mom even fuels my 3 wheeler addiction!

Let's see a pic of this 185s

oldtime3wheeler
07-02-2011, 01:43 PM
I got an email from a kid who had a atc70 for sale. He traded a guy his dad worked with a gas rc car for it. It wasnt very fast and he got bored of it. So he sends me pics and it a oem xmas atc70. After some back and forth we settle on $250. I go to his house, give it one pull and it idles. Took it for a test drive then loaded it in my truck.

NOSBIGSHOT
07-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I was chased down the street by a guy who I thought was a COP . He asked do you like 3 Wheelers . I said yes . End of story !

hillbilly 200x
07-02-2011, 02:54 PM
The best "barn fines" fined you! I had a guy out of the blow email me up and say he had a 250cc honda 3wheeler for $300 that needed a cdi box. An hour later I had a mint 1985 honda 250sx with only one small crack that you can't even see and a small dent in the tank. Best part was when I got it home and moved the cdi box around and got it to run.127195

davidt5777
07-02-2011, 05:20 PM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1176/20110613201537.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/8/20110613201537.jpg/)
bought this one for 30 bucks rod bearing was shoot replaced all of it but now no spark

TatTooL23
07-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Let's see a pic of this 185s

here r a couple pics of the 1982 185S

http://i54.tinypic.com/2h6vztc.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/30m94pg.jpg

NOSBIGSHOT
07-03-2011, 12:13 AM
here r a couple pics of the 1982 185S

http://i54.tinypic.com/2h6vztc.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/30m94pg.jpg
I remember being a kid smoking Camels we stole from my brother being pulled in a bumper car behind a 185 just like that when my friend Jeff Davis tried to jump a snow mound that turned out to be a barbed wire fence . I have not thought about Jeff in years till the last few weeks . He was my best friend .He died in 1983 .

wildonewest
07-03-2011, 12:39 AM
I bought my 250SX in mint condition. The good part about this deal is the seller included a NIB OEM rear finder. I got tired of moving it around the garage so I put it on eBay with a starting bid of $250 and after 23 bids later it sold for $750. I had people from all over the world asking me if I would ship to them. I only paid $1000 for the SX in mint condition, not a bad deal!!

gomer202
07-03-2011, 01:36 AM
I got a 200e for free got that running in a day also got a 200s for $100 got that running in a day and got a Ytm200e for free and got that running in a day ice had some luck lately

Thorpe
07-03-2011, 01:26 PM
I picked up this 1970 US90 for 80 bucks... I was checking out CL when it popped up, and I called dude, told him I was on my way! Cleaned the carb, and tank, ignition coil ground and got it fired up... Traded it off for this 83 atc70 for my kids!