PDA

View Full Version : sealed or non sealed bearings ?

H2Sbass
07-01-2011, 07:54 PM
What does everyone think ? Are sealed bearings really worth the added price ? I ask because I do ride in alot of mud/sand/water and whatever else looks like I might get stuck in it. I used sealed bearings on my last change but they don't seem to really last tooo much longer. However I do hate the idea of having to remove the brake drum whenever I lube if I go the route of non sealed and adding a grease nipple in the carrier. The price of bearings is pretty random in my area. I see em for like 20 bucks a set on ebay, but they're like 30 a piece at honda, and a bearing wholesaler quoted me 60 bucks each cause he can only get sealed. I'm on an atc 110 and I ride it very hard so I do tend to wear them out and being a 110 it really hurts the power.

atc007
07-01-2011, 08:01 PM
If you're determined to use the machine as a submarine,,yes you want sealed bearings. You should not be paying any more than $22 a pair. And they should last you at least over a year.

ctbale
07-01-2011, 08:05 PM
go to western hills honda, or any other honda web site, and find your bearing, there will be a NTN number, (6xxx) after the part number, use that number and search flea-bay for bearing 6xxx I always get the RS2 style, sealed, and I have never paid more the like $4 each, and usually get a set of two delivered to my mail box for under $10 I have been using KML

ctbale
07-01-2011, 08:11 PM
200x rears, hmmm, maybe fronts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150514304210&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160393065460&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

BiGDawG
07-01-2011, 08:15 PM
not trying to jack your thread.. but how hard is it to replace the front and rear bearings on a 84 200x? i think mine are going out

ctbale
07-01-2011, 08:23 PM
EZ, heat it up with a hot work lite, or heat gun, for the removal and install, not too hot, then use a long punch and work it out gradually. scotch brite to clean the bore, and I use a socket, or grind the OD of the old bearing (so it dont get stuck) to tap in the new one, use grease in the bore, helps for the R&R next time. dont forget to install the spacer ... (dont ask)

H2Sbass
07-01-2011, 09:04 PM
lol, yeah I've had that spacer brainfart before too. 22 bucks a pair sounds totally fair. Last time I paid like 30 bucks each for sealed ones and got maybe a year, although I didn't put very many miles on. Just hate the idea of spending like 120 a year on bearings so I think I'll just start gettin' 'em online. Thanks for the help guys:cool:

Ironbnder
07-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Sealed bearings but remove the inner side seals so the grease from the center of the carrier can get to it. The outer side seal just gives added protection if anything gets by your carrier seals.