PDA

View Full Version : short walkaround and 125m engine knock.

Jon Boy
06-30-2011, 09:54 PM
ok i've been holding off a bit on this vid because i'm very embarrassed on how my motor sounds in it. it's really not as bad as the vid sounds. i just have a crappy cam with a lousy mic. the knock does quiet a bit after it warms up, but it still knocks. actually not exactly sure what the knock is. never the less it doesn't smoke, starts 2-3pulls (1pull if you give it a touch of throttle) still a great little runner and all original still for the most part. the 'key-less" dash is thanks to the thief who stole it, good thing they didn't trash the rest of it. i bought it from my neighbors estate sale after he past away. he was an old man who used it on his farm down on the river. he had it serviced every year up till about 3-4 yrs before i got it and i'm the 3rd owner. the first owner only had it for 6mos before this guy bought it from them.
it's not the prettiest or the baddest, but Dammit it's mine and i'm proud of it. :cool:

Quick 1/2 Walkaround.

http://youtu.be/UDTTG1gdse8
Half Naked with knockers. :lol:

http://youtu.be/Zk2o24XRqfs

hoosierlogger
07-01-2011, 05:25 AM
valves sound like they could use some adjusting. Still, it looks pretty darn good for all its been through.

Jon Boy
07-08-2011, 12:35 PM
ok was getting an estimate on my broken case mount, so i figured i would get the valves tightened while it was there. new tappets and everything adjusted correctly, but i just got it together and it's still got a tapping/knock. after pin-pointing it better it seems to be coming from just below the piston or the front of the trans case. i remember reading somewhere on here while searching about someone having a similar problem and it ended up being a wrist pin or something, not the valves. :rolleyes:

2fiftyR
07-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Hope its not the connecting rod.That could get ugly.Best of luck hope its somthing minor

Jason125m
07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
A "beater" 125 i had, started knocking EXACTLY like that, and a week later she seized. Fix the problem before you drive it too much... Hopefully it's nothing serious. I still haven't investigated why mine seized, not enough time in a day..

Jon Boy
07-08-2011, 08:35 PM
shoot that's not sounding good. well, i am going to be taking the whole ATC not just the motor this time to the mechanic again next week for more estimates on the other stuff from when it was stolen (key ignition, bent bars, broken trunk lid, etc.) i hope he can help figure it out without it costing me too much more, considering i'm not sure how deep he'll be needing to dig anyway. i could probibly do a good amount of some of this stuff myself, but i want someone who really knows exactly what they're doing to be totally sure. i'll admit i'm not dumb, but then again i'm not exactly the sharpest marble in the bag either. :lol:

kylegrimes
07-08-2011, 08:57 PM
That sounds rough man id do it myself because unless you personally know a mechanic well lets just say i know from experince

just ben
07-08-2011, 09:14 PM
you said it yourself ."I'm not the sharpest marble in the bag" j/K lol. not sure thats the saying. get it looked at,hopefully its nothing too serious

muthey
07-09-2011, 02:39 PM
a friend of mine had a similar knock on his 185s, and it turned out to be the ratchet springs on the pull starter, now granted that is a different style pull start but pull it off and give it a look and see if it is catching on the basket or not before tearing into the motor too far, can't hurt to check the simple things first.

Jon Boy
07-09-2011, 06:02 PM
not that, checked the pull start. IMO and i can be wrong, but the sound seems to be coming from around the bottom of the cylinder or the area just inside the trans below the cylinder.

H2Sbass
07-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Just a thought, but sometimes a stretched timing chain can cause some pretty funky noise. Usually more of a grindy rattley noise tho.