PDA

View Full Version : 1986 250R clutch/shifting issues

JasonB
06-29-2011, 02:52 PM
My 250R is running pretty good but im noticing issues with what I believe is a slipping clutch. I was on the drag strip playing around at TF and it would get out of the hole but past mid RPM range in any gear it seemed like the bike was just getting louder and not getting faster/picking up speed. So my take is the clutch is not doing its job. I havent taken it apart yet, but will i be looking at worn fiber disks or glazed plates or what? Not extremely familiar with atv clutches.

on top of that, I have issues with the bike letting me get into nuetral unless the rpm's are allowed to drop way low. Before I put a chain on the bike last week I started it and the front sprocket was spinning quickly but I would stop it without much trouble just using my hand. Does this all mean my clutch basket is worn out too? I have a new clutch cable adjusted perfectly. Do i need new springs/disks/basket? Thanks for your input guys!

Xpress
06-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I'd change the springs and clutch plates first before you go any further. It sounds like you either used automobile engine oil or your clutch disks are just due for replacing.

JasonB
06-29-2011, 05:36 PM
I have been using the MT brand stuff for like 9$ a quart. I flushed out the tranny since it was actually full of dark old oil.

what brand do you guys recommend for clutch disks? I guess stock right?

zzmegad
06-29-2011, 05:40 PM
i run the Honda 85w trans oil in all my 2 strokes, i really like it

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Transmission-Oil-80w/dp/B0039OO596

falloutboy
06-30-2011, 02:56 AM
when you take it apart, be sure to look for grooves worn into the clutch basket fingers.

Dirtcrasher
06-30-2011, 02:29 PM
If you like the trike, file the basket, change all the parts to OEM and get an 89 update kit - be done with clutch issues for years!!