PDA

View Full Version : Fenders Paint

junjun01
10-26-2003, 08:13 PM
How Can I Paint Fenders Without Chipping Everityme I Hit The Trails ?
I Try That " special " paint For Plastics ,But Still Chips Off,I Have To keep Retouching It. :evil:

slowmo
10-26-2003, 10:25 PM
I'm afraid that any paint will chip. The original color on the plastic is added in the mold- the whole part is the same color all the way through.
I've had reasonable luck using this method:
Scuff entire part with # 00 steel wool or a Scotchbrite pad.
Wash part with wax remover, make sure you get the same brand as the paint you are using. Ask at the automotive paint supplier you'll be getting your paint from.
Prime (with flex agent)
Paint (with flex agent)

You won't be able to rattle can this, unless your paint supplier can make the spray cans up for you. Even so, if you bend the fender too much it will crack and peel. That's why the factory molds the color in.

ScottZJ
10-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Well I did like the post above stated by using the new Fusion flex paint. There are 2 things that must be done, one make sure that the plastic is clean of any chemicals what so ever. 2nd when painting, mist it with very light coats. It will take a good day and half to get it fully painted with several good coats. A clear coat would be good also but havent found a flex clear just yet(or its not out here). I used a fine grit sand paper to clear all the burs or blemishes off the plastic prior to painting.

Here are a couple pics of my 350X after the fusion blue paint.

junjun01
10-27-2003, 02:11 PM
I Will Look Around Local Paint Suply For That " Flex " Paint.
Thanks Guys