PDA

View Full Version : Rear carrier woes. 86R

Brockey
06-28-2011, 08:34 AM
I can't keep my chain tight. Bearings are good no play in anything. New chain aswell.
I can take my bike out for a few minutes and the chain goes slack. Problem is in the carrier, seems the pinch bolts don't go tight enough. Is there anything I can do, or should I just replace the carrier?
Thxs

Mosh
06-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Check and see if the swinger is cracked under neath, near the bolts for the carrier housing.

Brockey
06-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Will do when I get home. Never thought about looking under there. Thxs Mosh.

Red Rider
06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
If it's the stock '86 swingarm, they were prone to cracking around the slots for the pinch bolts. Also, are you leaving enough slack in the chain when you tighten it to account for suspension movement? If not, the chain is getting stretched, and or the carrier is forced to rotate, allowing the chain to loosen as the suspension goes through it's travel. The next time you tighten it, you might try placing some index marks on the carrier & swingarm to determine if the carrier is indeed rotating & allowing the chain to loosen.

Brockey
06-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Thxs for the advice. I have checked it out a little yesterday and it is indeed the carrier slipping around. I give the chain plenty of room for the suspension but around the house once and its rubbing the skid plate and sagged majorly between the Top of the sprockets. I will have to check for cracking when I get home.
Thxs

Brockey
06-28-2011, 09:39 PM
At a quick look I don't see no cracks in the swinger around the pinch bolts but I think I am gonna remove it and closer inspect it.

NewfieBish
06-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Hey Cyril, I'm having the same problem after I put mine back together. My swingarm has always had small cracks around the pinching leafs, however this wasn't a problem before. Every ride, I need to retighten the chain, I'm not certain but could it be something with the bolt in the middle of the swingarm that locks the carrier? If not maybe were missing something else.

Brockey
06-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Hey, no the bolt on the center just limits how far the chain can be tightened I believe. I think when I get home from Terra Nova on Sunday I will dig into it. I will let you know my findings!?!

Dirtcrasher
06-30-2011, 02:27 PM
The carrier is most likely fine (more so, they get seized from lack of grease and sealing). Those pinch bolts get overtightened and crack or move towards one another when tightened and bottom against themselves. I'll assume the rubber that goes between them is gone? Is there a gap once snugged up or do the ears touch each other? If there is a gap, (which is what you want), you have another issue.......