PDA

View Full Version : 1986 big red whats it worth?????

aero400
06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
I found a mint cond 1986 big red 3 wheeler in town last week. orig tires, never been in water ect. What would be the maximum, it would be worth to buy and keep. thanks for any imput

dougspcs
06-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Mint condition here in Ontario..and I mean mint, not most CL sellers idea on mint!!

Could get $1500..maybe even $1800-2000 old man owned since new, stored in the heated garage under a cover, oil changed spring and fall, ridden only to church on Sunday..that kinda stuff!

What is the seller asking?

tri again
06-28-2011, 07:40 AM
x2 on the 1500$ price in Oregon
but you MUST check the gastank.
Some people drain them thinking it's a good idea but they will rust beyond hope.
If it had not been running for a while the carb will need to be cleaned.

The other is final drive/differential oil.
They call the driveshaft maintain free so no one ever checks the gear oil in the diff.
It's only 3point3 ounces so critical for sure.

Any timing chain noise?
Swing arm bearing are prob fine but also not fun to replace.

I just went thru an orig owner, garage kept bike, looked newnew new
but the brand spankin' new looking tank was so bad on the inside you could stick
4 fingers thru the bottom.
They drained it and left it empty with the cap on for quite a few years.
Didn't see/couldn't tell until I got it home.

Shifter splines ok? not loose and trying to strip?

If it's good like it should be, I wouldn't hesitate.

aero400
06-28-2011, 02:56 PM
The bike is really nice, old man bought it to just deer hunt with, never been wet, tank looks great. His family asking 3000.00 which I think is high. I would consider 2300.00 just cause I had one years ago and would love another one to keep, They think if they can hold on to it it will bring more, I think there crazey but wasnt sure what it should be worth

dougspcs
06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
The bike is really nice, old man bought it to just deer hunt with, never been wet, tank looks great. His family asking 3000.00 which I think is high. I would consider 2300.00 just cause I had one years ago and would love another one to keep, They think if they can hold on to it it will bring more, I think there crazey but wasnt sure what it should be worth

$3000, I won't say it isn't worth it because I don't know your area, but damn!! They were only $2000 brand new..is that what it's come too now??

Taiser
06-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Got my MINT 1985 BR for 1000$, but the old dude that I bought it from did not know what he had...

I would have paid up 1500$ for mine, not much more than that.

3k is WAY too much, no matter how mint it is. You're getting into a 4x4 quad price there. They aren't THAT rare yet.

dougspcs
06-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I found a mint cond 1986 big red 3 wheeler in town last week. orig tires, never been in water ect. What would be the maximum, it would be worth to buy and keep. thanks for any imput

Consider driving a bit..if a weekend trip can save you $1500!!

http://flint.craigslist.org/rvs/2449865745.html

They are out there for less..alot less!!

mirthgrinder
06-28-2011, 09:43 PM
I picked up my '85 BR for $350. It had been sitting out in arid west Texas for 6 years. Carb rebuild, new battery, new starter, fresh oil and new oil filter, all new brake cables, metal gas tank from flea-bay re-lined and differential oil changed and she runs like a champ! $3k does sound a bit pricey, but it depends on what the 'Market' will bear. I would shop around a little, unless the BR is SUPER MINT, has Hondaline speedometer, spotlight, windscreen, overlarge mud-flaps, etc., etc.

Do you have Pics?

MG