PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z Stearing stem bearings?

ama009
06-27-2011, 07:10 AM
This may be a noob question, but I can't find steering stem bearings on fleebay for the 85 tri z. Are they the same as the 200x or 250r or another bike? Where can I get them? I tried cheap cycle parts, and dennis kirk, but can't find them. Any help is very appreciated!!

Tri-Z 250
06-27-2011, 10:31 AM
AllBalls has replacement bearings that are tappered. You can get the original loose balls through your local dealer...Last time I checked they want some pretty good coin for them over $2.00 each x 16 x 2(top and bottom). If you go tappered you need to punch out the orginal races and slowly press the bearing into place. A special tool is available but I used a threaded rod with just washers and nuts on either end(simple but it works). Riding both the difference is minor(I think the AllBalls action is smoother); but my confidence in the tappered bearing is higher.

ama009
06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks tri z 250. I replaced the ones on my 200x with the all balls, and it was relatively easy, and they work well. On the other hand, I am having a real hard time taking the bottom race off from the stem. That sucker looks like it is welded in there (lots of rust). I am thinking of heating it up with a torch to take it out, but I wanted to replace with the all balls. I don't think I want to mess with all those loose balls!!! hahah no pun intended.

driscoll333
06-27-2011, 12:13 PM
I just went through this....they are out of stock at allsballs online... I didnt call them to confirm it.....I ordered mine though PyramidParts from united kingdom.....it took a week + for shipping..bearings and shipping total was 40.00.... allsballs did have all the swingarm and rear axle bearings available... Brett

ama009
06-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks Driscoll333! I hope they get the bearings right, because I just got the fork seals and they sent me the wrong ones. They don't fit inside the fork tubes, and I made sure I ordered the ones for the 85 tri z.

El Camexican
07-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi there,

I have a set of All Balls tapered bearings (P/N 22-1019) which they say is for my Tri Z, but there is as step machined into the upper steering head that will only allow the race to drop in about half way. I have cleaned it up and look close at it, it is NOT removable. Did you run into this on your rides as well, or do I have some funky prototype frame? All Balls tech guy was stumped too. Any help would be appreaciated.