PDA

View Full Version : Possible purchase: Yamaha 225 DX

Halligan86
06-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Hi,

New here. So I've been scouring CL looking for a new toy. Well I saw a Big Red 250R on there for $1500. I thought it was over priced and remembered the girl at work had one in her barn. So I talked her, it's the husbands and it's in the subject line there. Now he said it needs a new front tire and it needs a new u-joint. He said make him a offer on it. I've seen it once, so she is going to email me some pictures tomorrow.

Now I am 6'7'' and about 300 lbs and never rode one. Is this even worth driving a hr out of my way to sit on. Sometimes my toy aspirations never get the reality check in the mirror. Given the tire and u-joint I figure something like $150-200 on EBAY parts. Can you still find the parts at the local dealers?

If I won't be a gorilla in a clown car and nothing else is wrong (says it runs) what's a fair offer? I saw one on ebay for $850 and I would just assume save the money if that's what they are really going for. I think they are cool as heck, I just don't want to waste anyone's time.

Thanks.

HuffieVA
06-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Just my opinion, but the Yamaha 225's are pretty good bikes (I had a few of them over time) I'd say if its a good runner (without any excessive smoke) and it looks good as far as plastics and otherwise except for the U-Joint and tire my guess that a fair offer would be somewhere around $400 and $600, keep in mind that that parts for the Yamaha's are sometimes a bit harder to come by than the Honda's but a bit easier than the Kawasaki's.... FYI a Big Red and 250R are two very different breeds 250R = 2-Stroke screamer, Big Red = Good for Utility and Trails, again just my opinion...

muthey
06-26-2011, 11:41 PM
if you do buy it I find alot of the yamaha 3 wheeler parts match with the yfm "four wheeler" parts a front tire is 22-11-8 atv tire and not that hard to come by there are some on ebay right now for pretty cheap mounted on rims. I love my 2 225's they are dang good wheelie machines, and with your size it should be pretty comfortable. Plus no rusty tanks as the gas tank is plastic

Deathrocket
06-27-2011, 12:44 AM
I would suggest walking away from a 225dx if your that tall, I had one I am 6'1" 200lbs and it was a very tippy machine. plus since they are shaft drive extended swing arms are non existent, and wheel spacers can be found if you search, but i would look for something bigger, like a 350x that way you can extend the swing arm and space the wheels out to make it a much more stable machine for someone of your size. plus they are slow, and speed parts are pretty much non existent for those. sorry to burst your bubble but cheap trikes are always out there if that's what you want. keep looking and something will come your way.

bobotech
06-27-2011, 04:39 AM
I'm a big guy, over 300 pounds and have a YTM225dx and have had no problems with the power it has. No problems hauling my fat ass around.

Halligan86
06-27-2011, 07:05 AM
How hard is it to fix that u-joint? What are some things I need to keep my eye out for?

dougspcs
06-27-2011, 07:16 AM
I say buy it if the price is right..at 6'7"(no sh1t??) you are gonna look big on everything. I am 6'3" and even manage to make my 350x look like a small trike and my 250sx I look totally goofy on!!

Fuch it, have fun..the machine can take it. Hell I ride my ATC110 when I'm in the mood..

Yeah get a 350x or a 250BR if one presents itself, but if the price works for you get the Yamaha..

(gorilla in a clown car..that's funny!!)

Here is a link to some manuals, you will probably find what you need here.. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

The one you saw locally wasn't a Big Red, it was a 250R and they regularly go for 1500. It's the racing trike..crazy fast, but a little much for some beginners!

I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred for the 225..I watch the Michigan CL all the time for my next score. Your area is dirty with trikes...you are sure to find a basic 3wheeler(200e, m, s, es, 250es, sx, 225dx, dr) that will need no work to ride in the 600-900 range if you are prepared to wait.