PDA

View Full Version : electric starter on 85 250es??

chuckiedog04
06-26-2011, 03:07 PM
well my electric starter went on my 250es big red:(, it kick starts in one kick but i would rather have my electric start. so i know my solenoid is good, if i tap the starter container while holding the start button it makes a hellish noice:twisted: so i figure it must be my starter. my question is will this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-STARTER-HONDA-ATV-ATC250ES-BIG-RED-1985-86-246CC-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e602049d8QQitemZ13046 1747672QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries work as a replacement?? i plan to use the big red for lots of ice fishing next winter so i need the starter to work and be reliable... also how hard is it to replace the electric starter? hopefully this thread doesnt get moved...

atc007
06-26-2011, 03:32 PM
That's the one! And they're the ones to deal with! It will last you a lONG time!

chuckiedog04
06-26-2011, 04:06 PM
good it will last another 26 years!

Hair Bear Bunch
06-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Just be aware that there is two different starters for the Br, one short shaft, one long. Be sure to get the right one.
Have you taken off the cover for the starter reduction gears to see if they are damaged? If you're ordering parts it's worth checking. These also come in different tooth numbers so be careful to replace with the correct parts.
Replacing the starter is one lead and two bolts, can't remember if there's anything else to remove first but I don't think so. Remember to disconnect the battery first!
Rob.

chuckiedog04
06-26-2011, 04:18 PM
i have not had it apart yet. could it just need to be cleaned out?

Thorpe
06-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Possibly... On my 250es, when the starter went bad, the brush plate pretty much crumbled and was total junk.

chuckiedog04
06-26-2011, 04:24 PM
i guess ill have to tear it open today and take a look. so do you have to take the clutch cover off to get to the starter? i know wear the start is but its kind of hard to get to

Thorpe
06-26-2011, 04:35 PM
it helps if you pull the starter gear cover, and pop the top gear out... (at least it helps me to get the starter in and out)

Hair Bear Bunch
06-26-2011, 04:47 PM
The story with mine is that the 'sprag clutch' is faulty which allowed the engine to somehow snatch the starter gears and break off some of the teeth in the reduction set and tore all the teeth off the starter motor shaft which in turn allowed all the bits to fall into the sump where it migrated to the magnetic rotor/stator assembly and chewed it's way into that as well!
Hopefully for you that won't be the issue but just so you know it's a possibility.

chuckiedog04
06-26-2011, 05:53 PM
well i took it apart... the teeth on the starter are broken. i counted it had ten teeth. so i put it back togethor and now it spins... before it just clicked. so i just need a new starter i am sure

tri again
06-28-2011, 08:53 AM
That gear story is worth considering.

The brush plate replacement for the starter is like 29$ and a whole new starter
is like 40 something?
I saw one on ebay and just called the company directly, no prob.

4 times a century isn't too bad.

I just hope your other gears are ok.

Hair Bear Bunch
06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
I bought the replacement gears from a 'well known auction site' as being for the Br. They fitted perfectly and worked when used as a set, but disccovered that they were different tooth number and pitch when I tried to replace just the broken cog. Don't know what they were out of or why they were different. Again, bear this in mind if ordering parts...
Rob.

rdlsz24
06-28-2011, 05:07 PM
well i took it apart... the teeth on the starter are broken

If this is the case, check the reduction gears and one-way clutch also....something had to cause those teeth to break. It is a known issue for the one-way clutch on the left side to go bad. A Big Red I bought last summer had the starter teeth chewed to heck and the reduction gears were actually gone.... I guess the previous owner did away with them since the clutch had gone bad.

Rob