PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Replacing recoil spring for recoil starter. '83 185s

NorCalTrike
06-24-2011, 10:45 PM
so apparently i snapped the little inside tab on the circular spring inside the pulley system (which recoils the pull starter back into the pulley so it can be pulled again). I just picked up a replacement coil spring and im just wondering how exactly i go about rewinding the rope and how to preload the spring so that it ravels back up when i put it back together. Ive got everything apart, pulley out, ratches and springs out, along with pressure spring. I was able to reconnect the rope to the pulley, and through the starter case and back onto the pull handle. I do have the manual, but they do a crappy job of trying to explain exactly how to put the spring back in there the correct way. Please, some step by step instructions would really help out. This replacement spring was 50$ and i would hate to screw it up the first time and have to go buy another one. Thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

norcaltrike

atc '83 185s

Headsup
06-24-2011, 10:50 PM
LoL, Funny my first bike was a 83 185s same thing happend, The Tip of the spring snapped off, It is a Pain in the Arse to get it Winded back up, I Build a fire and Got the end hot, and bent It back, The 1 or 2 mm i lost i dont think really made any difference.

As for Getting the spring back in, LoL, I know its a pain, But you can do it, I used 2 big vise grips,

carsurgin
06-24-2011, 11:16 PM
After an hour of fighting, I found it easier this was.
1)Wrap the pull cord around the spindle.
2)Roll the recoil spring as tight as you can and HOLD!
3)connect small (inside hook) to spindle.
4)Slowly and carefully, hook big (outside hook) to casing.
5)Replace spindle into casing trying to find locking seat.
6)Tie on handle. Giver a tug.
Now keep in mind, those are my steps i used to get er' in.
Good Luck

Headsup
06-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Or also you can Just soter it on, File off an exsess, Idk might work, Try getting it in without that though,
I remember bending the lip out a little bit so it would catch on its own when i stuck the Pully inside the Case, and spun it, Worked very good

NorCalTrike
06-25-2011, 02:23 AM
so the way i have it set up as of now. The rope is going through the casing, its connected to the pully and the other end is attached to the handle. basically i can pull the pulley out and wrap the rope around it untill the handle sinks onto the casing. Do i want to turn and preload the spring while the rope is stretched out? or should i roll up the rope on the pulley, put it in the case, then turn it to preload it... Still a little confused. thanks again.

Scootertrash
06-25-2011, 08:39 AM
You'll need to have the handle off. Wrap your pull rope around the pulley. There should be a notch in the edge of the pulley. As you place the pulley into the housing, allow the end of the rope to hang up and out thru the notch in the edge of the pulley. The allows the rope to hang out so it doesn't bind up inside the pulley when you preload the recoil spring and makes it easy to grab after you preloaded the spring. Now preload the spring, I usually go about 4 full turns after I feel tension from the spring, You may need more, but this has been my experience. I run the rope out thru the housing and give the rope a few pulls to make sure it's working properly and has plenty of recoil pressure so the handle doesn't droop or hang. A nice snug handle to housing fit also helps keep water out of the recoil when you go puddle jumping. I then use a C-clamp with just enough pressure to hold the pulley from spinning when I attach the pull handle, or you can pull the rope all the way out and wrap it around the housing to accomplish the same results. I've seen some people use a vise grip clamped on the rope but this can cause damage to the rope. Tie the handle on and off you go!

Ironbnder
06-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Scooter is close but still making it harder than it needs to be.
1. Put the pulley and spring back down into the housing and turn it abit to make sure the spring lips are catching as designed, but do not wind any tension on it yet.
2. Run the rope through the housing and into the pulley and tie a good knot inside the pulley and install the handle. Now your rope will be tied at both ends with all the slack hanging out with no tension.
3. Now you need to replace the cogs, cover plate and snap ring over the knot.
4. Use some needle nose pliers and double the rope up out of the housing between the housing and the pulley in the area right under where the rope goes out through the housing.
5. Hook the pulley side of the rope in the notch at the edge of the pulley and wind it opposite of the way it winds in. (can't remember left or right) Wrap it about 3 or 4 times and then let it suck the rope back in and try it a few times.

If you need more tension, double the rope back out as before and wrap it another turn. There is no need to clamp or fight the spring tension. This also works if you have a lazy rope and just need to snug it up. No need to take it back apart. Also $50 for a spring is robbery. Look on-line for more parts and stay away from the dealers for these type of parts.

Scootertrash
06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Nice, I like your way better. I never thought of doubling the rope like you posted. I have henceforth changed my recoil repair technique. Thanks!