PDA

View Full Version : Not able to turn over, just clicks. Have pictures!

thenewguy
06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
I am brand new to the forum and brand new to 3 wheelers but ive always wanted one so I jumped all over this. I don't know much about it yet other then it is a kawasaki klt250 1983 im told. The year on the sticker is faded off. My main issue right now is when i try to start it it just clicks out of what seems to be like a starter solenoid to me. So being that im a car guy i tried tapping with a hammer and nothing happened just clicked. Im going to go out and check all the grounds now but i thought Id run in and post this to get any advice. Thanks in advance!

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr176/mm1429/3wheelersolinoid.jpg

Scootertrash
06-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Yup, Check your grounds, make sure thay're clean and tight, make sure your battery voltage is up to snuff (12.5-13 volts). I've also made a set of jumpers so I can go directly to the starter when possible, to make sure the starter will turn over with the solenoid bypassed.

dougspcs
06-24-2011, 12:21 PM
cross the 2 heavy leads with a screw driver, this will bypass the solenoid and send 12v direct from the battery to the starter. there will be a spark when you do this..normal.

if still won't turn over, then either battery or starter..

hookup a battery charger with boost function or jumper it from your car..then cross the solenoid again with a screw driver..

if still won't turn and all your heavy connections are clean and tight, then probably time to tear out and rebuild the starter. if it does turn over when boosted, battery is likely cause.

thenewguy
06-25-2011, 01:12 PM
First off thanks for the prompt replies, my battery was low and the charger I was boosting it with was not working. Needless to say a new battery fixed that. Now when I turn it over it makes a terrible noise. I'm thinking maybe its the starter. When I take the spark plug out and run the starter there is no noise. But when the spark plug is in it makes noise like when there is resistance from the compression the starter doesn't stay engaged. Next step is to remove the starter. Since I am thenewguy I dont know the correct way and I dont really wanna just start tearing it apart. Links, photos or pics would be awesome. Thanks guys!

aldochina
06-25-2011, 07:08 PM
is there a back up pull start? put a request out for a manual. someone will hook you up.

muthey
06-25-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't believe there is any back up starting, also check to make sure that you have the right spark plug, to me sounds like it might be touching the top of the piston. I would check the spark plug first then look at the starter, give me a couple of days and I might be able to come up with a working starter for you have to check and see if it's there still, and if it is if it works.