PDA

View Full Version : New here. 82' 185s questions

Dropkick66
06-17-2011, 10:13 PM
I just picked up a 1982 185s. She ran good a few days ago when I got her but this is the prob. I put it in first gear and take off it runs fine. But when I get higher rpm she cuts out. Took it for a short ride today. Runs good at low rpm but then when I went up a steep hill she cuts out and cand make it to the top. I did notice when it's idling, if I give it hard gas it cuts out. Changed plug and it was dark. Not oil dark but sooty dark. Any ideas?

hillbilly 200x
06-17-2011, 10:17 PM
How does the air flitter look? Have you cleaned the carb out. If your plug is black then you are getting to much gas or even burning oil

Dropkick66
06-17-2011, 10:19 PM
How do I lean it out a little? I only see a idle screw. I think! Lol I will clean air filter in the morn

tri again
06-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Hey there and welcome.

You mean the Bend that is nowhere near North Bend?

Anyway, look for a manual under the 'world class help ' section.

The mix screw is vertical up into the float bowl (sort of) from underneath.

I usually put a piece of fuel line on them to make 'em easier to adjust.

Another oddity is to trim the last tiny little bit off the spark plug wire
and screw the plug cap back on.
Hard to believe it can make a world of difference, takes no time at all
and costs nothing.

The end wires may be just corroded enough to cause trouble.

Good idea to check all your grounds, frame grounds, coil to frame mount etc.

If it is electrical, the current is just not happy trying to overcome resistance.

Hope it's real simple and obvious.

There's usually a bunch of rust dust under that cover that says 'cdi' on it
so that likes to be clean as the dust can throw off the trigger signals.

Those 2 wires coming out of there should read 19 or 20 ohms I think but all that's
in the manual.

Pls keep us posted.

Dropkick66
06-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Gosh! Thank you so much. I am learning this a little at a time and with friendly advice like this it will be a breeze. I will clean carb today and also check ground points. Can u tell me more about that air mix screw by the float? If I turn it a 1/4 turn in, is that leaning it out or richining it?

MonroeMike
06-18-2011, 02:15 PM
On your machine, clockwise = leaner.
Page 82.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?126290-ATC185-200-Service-Data

250rRoostmaster
06-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Sounds rich, does it smoke??

Dropkick66
06-18-2011, 09:23 PM
cleaned the air filter and it looked like it had never been changed or cleaned. also cleaned carb, replaced spark plug and wire..cleaned all grounds and connection i could get to.. RUNS LIKE NEW! ALL SORTS OF POWER NOW.