PDA

View Full Version : Should I fix the electric start or the brakes first?

tri again
06-16-2011, 04:27 PM
85 sx's.

Also wonder if anyone has had trouble using
pantyhose over an air filter as a, well, prefilter.?

Do they melt with the gas fumes and ruin everything?

I guess I should expect some smart *&^ answers but it's nice to know everyone
is feeling feisty after such a long winter.

They say with all the pollen in the air, environmental estrogen levels
are off the charts.

Thorpe
06-16-2011, 04:35 PM
They say with all the pollen in the air, environmental estrogen levels
are off the charts.

Well, since your talking about riding with pantyhose on... You dont need to explain the high estrogen levels! (especially in OR from the sound of it!!) JK These have intrigued me...

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/proddetail.asp?prod=customrectangle

Personally, I would fix the E start first...

Jason125m
06-16-2011, 05:05 PM
I would also fix the Electric Start first. My sx is a B**ch to start when its cold with the kicker.

dougspcs
06-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Brakes aren't optional equipment..electric start is. No brainer answer I think.

Billyboy34
06-16-2011, 05:31 PM
The electric start is not too useful if the brakes don't work.

pcollins
06-16-2011, 06:12 PM
I'd fix the starter....I rode without brakes for almost a full year. Downshifting. Unless your gonna be riding public trails then fix the brakes first.

Xpress
06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Going is optional, stopping is MANDATORY.

tri again
06-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Well, since your talking about riding with pantyhose on... You dont need to explain the high estrogen levels! (especially in OR from the sound of it!!) JK These have intrigued me...

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/proddetail.asp?prod=customrectangle

Personally, I would fix the E start first...

Cute! and appreciated.
Thanks

This is the grass seed capitol of the world so the pollen these days will plug up an air filter within minutes, it seems.

Lots of horses get hoof rot called 'founder' because of the hot (estrogen) grasses here too.

Best to go run the dunes this time of year

tri again
06-17-2011, 05:36 AM
I would also fix the Electric Start first. My sx is a B**ch to start when its cold with the kicker.

Yeah well one of mine wouldn't start with the electric.
It simply wanted a kick at the EXACT correct spot on the compression stroke and it would go.

whereas a 30 second spin with the starter would NOT get it going.

I eventually reamed out the cold start jet and wonder why I waited so long to fix it correctly.

You Do know there was a cold start recall on those and a service bulletin on here somewhere right?
especially if you have a keihin QA 01 carb on it.

tri again
06-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Brakes aren't optional equipment..electric start is. No brainer answer I think.

Point well taken.
Safety first everyone.

Thorpe
06-17-2011, 08:24 AM
See... Now my SX is sitting in the garage, needing brakes and electric start fixed... I would fix the starter first, because then I could go out, pop the button and at least listen to it run... Untill the brakes were fixed. But if I had to go for a ride, I would just jump on the BR... Stopping isnt critical right now, because my SX isnt ready to go for a few reasons...

250rRoostmaster
06-17-2011, 09:04 AM
I'd do the brake, if you have another option for starting the bike then brakes first electric start second... my .02 cents

TatTooL23
06-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Brakes first. Come on, how is this a question? It has a kick start. With the brakes working u could have the trike in good shape much much longer. Just takes one wreck and either the trike is out of commission or u r. Hey but then u could limp out to it when its all smashed and not rideable and push the start button and go no farther then that. Lol.

jrwebb8324
06-17-2011, 10:51 PM
You could just buy the correct parts, spend one good afternoon in the garage and have them both fixed fairly quick. Neither one is very hard to do.

RubberSalt
06-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Just remember, brakes slow you down, who wants to go slow anyways?

Fix the electric start first, that will make you want to fix the brakes!