PDA

View Full Version : School me on Nikasil cylinders

swampthang
06-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Whats the deal with Nikasil? I know its supposed to outlast the piston and rings and can be deglazed but not bored unless recoated. I had a yz 125 that when I rebuilt it the cylinder walls looked nasty and I had to have it recoated and that was about $300 by the time I payed for shipping. So my question is how long while a cylinder last if the piston and rings where replaced regularly? What type of maitenance is need to keep from having to have the cylinder recoated? Just wondering Im going to look at a Tecate tonight with the Nikasil cylinder.

fabiodriven
06-15-2011, 08:27 AM
My 85 Tecate jug has its original Nikasil from 1985 and ran strong until last year. It started getting tired and I wanted to try the KX jug so I am not running the Tecate jug this year. I bet if I had it measured it would still be fine. It was more than likely the rings that were worn and not the jug.

lazybiker79
06-15-2011, 09:59 PM
I need one of my tecate cylinders Nikasiled too. Does anyone have any info where to get it done?

zzmegad
06-15-2011, 10:01 PM
theres a few places around, I have used Millenium Technologies (http://www.mt-llc.com/) in the past.

MTS
06-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Dont forget the biggest advantage of nickasil...better heat disapation with a alum sleave. Run good oil and dont sieze the sucker.