PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder/Head Pics. Whatcha Think?

Qdude79
06-13-2011, 08:30 PM
My '85 200X. Cylinder is smooth to the touch. Thinkin' I want to freshen up the top end, regardless. The question is the lower. This is my first rebuild and I don't have the experience to know what's good to go and what needs to be redone. Thoughts?

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk39/qdude79/1b5c336a.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk39/qdude79/42bd223e.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk39/qdude79/bd8587bd.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk39/qdude79/9fb35826.jpg

blkstangman88
06-13-2011, 08:43 PM
id bore that thing out a tiny bit and throw in a new piston and rings. as for bottom end i looked for any metal shavings of any kind as i tore mine apart and checked all the bearings for abnormal movment.

atc007
06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Cylinder needs bored. Next over piston and rings. Valve job,cleaning the ports all out. Make sure your rod has NO play up and down,it will from side to side. Looking at your top end,I'm sure your bottom is good. If you're having no clutch,shifting,or kicstarter issues. Bolt her together and ride.

Qdude79
06-13-2011, 10:07 PM
And so it is! I'll take it in tomorrow to have it sized. Thanks!

just ben
06-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Cylinder needs bored. Next over piston and rings. Valve job,cleaning the ports all out. Make sure your rod has NO play up and down,it will from side to side. Looking at your top end,I'm sure your bottom is good. If you're having no clutch,shifting,or kicstarter issues. Bolt her together and ride.

which ports should he clean? looking down the bore they all looked clear... or missing?

Xpress
06-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Take your fingernail and run it along the inside of the cylinder. Not so smooth now is it? ;)

ctbale
06-14-2011, 05:17 AM
I Just did mine, I am putting it back together. Get a timing chain, cheap. I did a bore, piston kit, vesrah valves vesrah full gaskets , DID timing chain $15, Timing chain tensioner, $60 for the bore, recut the valve seats. How is your cam journal? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF_HZcGUiG8 I had to replace 2 bearing in my tranny too, kind of a big job. I am sure your ok, atc007 is right on, by looking at that piston and the cyl wall your eng didnt see the neglect/abuse mine saw.

Qdude79
06-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Gonna do the bore, piston kit, got the DID chain, do I need a new tensioner? Mine looks good, as best I can tell. If it's just cheap insurance, I'll do it.

What about the oil pump? Should I check? How? Just replace?

fabiodriven
06-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Cylinder needs bored..

I would have told him that, but my magical over-the-internet snap gauge and caliper are in the shop.

Have it measured. You may be able to just hone it.

jb2wheels
06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Worth checking if a dingleball hone will do the trick - then you don't have to spend the $$ on piston and bore - saving $90 or so?

I did a 110 engine on a budget. I was planning ot bore it but the local shop said a hone was all it needed. I added fresh rings, gound the valves/seats and was in and out for minimum cost. This was my first 4-stroke refresh. That engine ran great when I sold the trike.

ctbale
06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
yea, that piston looks pretty darn good! I did the tensioner, but I think it was overkill. The new tensioner is just going to shed material till it breaks in. I dont think a tensioner can really fail.

Dirtcrasher
06-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Not a tensioner, but a tensioner guide and chain guide should 100% be replaced!! As well as the timing chain and have the cylinder measured. Have the valves checked too; Why do all this work to not have a nice fresh motor??

This is not a cheap hobby but a properly rebuilt 26YO 4 stroke will last a loooooooooooong time; Unlike the new 4 strokes that perform incredible but require constant attention........

Qdude79
06-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Dirtcrasher speaks, and so it shall be done. Any brand preferences for those?

Dirtcrasher
06-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Being a 200X with the kicker gear failures, I'm not sure if I would bump up the compression at all. Personally, I'd use a Wiseco piston (measure it 1st to see if .50 or 1MM are needed) a DID chain and Dennis Kirk has a nice tensioner guide and chain guide kit. I think the 1st gen. 200X is better off with some port work/cam/exhaust/carb/filter etc rather than bumping up the compression unless you can update the kicker gears; Nothing is more frustrating than putting hundreds into those motors to have to split the case and repair the gears soon afterwards........

Qdude79
06-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Gonna go Wiseco, the 10.25 to 1. Got the chain already, will order tensioner guide and chain guide when I order the piston. I may have some luck with the kicker gears, as it had a Goki e-starter on it when I got it, so I'm hoping the kicker isn't too worn. Researching the spring(s) necessary to tighten up the kicker before I put it back together. That would SUCK! Thanks, all...

atc007
06-14-2011, 11:09 PM
I would have told him that, but my magical over-the-internet snap gauge and caliper are in the shop.

Have it measured. You may be able to just hone it.

He can absolutely hone it!! And put in fresh rings and not even a piston!! BUT,,if he wants it right and tight,he needs to bore it,,which he already knows. Do it once,do it right.

atc007
06-14-2011, 11:26 PM
which ports should he clean? looking down the bore they all looked clear... or missing?

The pics are of the cylinder. It's a 4 stroke,so the ports are in the head. They carbon up on the exhaust and need cleaned out,and preferably at least polished up. Makes a noticeable difference in power.

fabiodriven
06-14-2011, 11:31 PM
BUT,,if he wants it right and tight,he needs to bore it,,which he already knows. Do it once,do it right.

Not true. If it's within spec there is no need to bore it. It would be a waste. A hone and rings are as good as new as long as the bore is good and the piston isn't damaged.

atc007
06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Anyone who's built engines for decades can CLEARLY see after that cylinder is honed out to perfection. It is not even CLOSE to being tight and correct. Believe what you will. I never wished for my customers to have fresh compression for awhile,then piston slap thereafter.

fabiodriven
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean. I've built plenty of engines and used to work in a machine shop that did boring and sleeving.

pcs
06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Gonna go Wiseco, the 10.25 to 1. Got the chain already, will order tensioner guide and chain guide when I order the piston. I may have some luck with the kicker gears, as it had a Goki e-starter on it when I got it, so I'm hoping the kicker isn't too worn. Researching the spring(s) necessary to tighten up the kicker before I put it back together. That would SUCK! Thanks, all...
i just finished mine up the the same piston. runs well, it wasnt running before i got it so i cant do a before and after comparison, but my friend has a stock one i compared mine to. his had a fresh stock top end on it before he stop ridding it last year so it still has good compression. both have stock carbs. my head has a gasket match port and 3 angle valve job, mine has a cobra exhaust and his is just a straight pipe to the back. he has 21" rear tires and i have 22". i weigh 170 and he is 125. by the time i hit 4th gear im about 3-4 atc lengths ahead so its a nice bump in power if you port the head as well.