PDA

View Full Version : 200es running rich! HELP!!!

rt200esx
06-12-2011, 09:35 PM
ok so I have an 84 honda 200es. aka my nightmare lol. My problem is that it is running rich and i cant get it to lean out. I can put a brand new plug in it and after 10 minutes running it is completely covered in dry black carbon. I have put a brand new carb on it as well as my old carb with a new rebuild kit and get the same results. ive also swapped out floats and have the same results. The main needle is set right in the middle of lean and rich. I have dropped it down a notch to lean it out(second groove from top of the needle) but it almost runs worse and is super doggy. I have also swapped coils, cdi's and pulse generators and put a new air filter on it, plug wire and boot. It doesnt like to sit at idle and when it does idle it almost sounds like its missing and will die when your at idle. But when your riding it and your on the gas it doesnt miss a beat and has plenty of power. I have also checked and rechecked the timing. its driving me insane! starting it on fire out in the driveway has crossed my mind a few times:twisted: lol. This is my first trike and first build so ANY insight would be tremendousely appreciated!!!!! Thanks!

mrmello
06-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Whats the mixture screw set at?

rt200esx
06-13-2011, 01:30 AM
2 turns out. i just reset the idle screw and pilot screw. ive messed with the pilot screw a ton. weird thing is that it should die once it gets close to being screwed all the way in right? mine just revs higher and higher and wont die.

mrmello
06-13-2011, 02:00 AM
2.5 is the factory setting for the mixture screw. Ive always started at factory setting, ran it from there to see if it was good and then adjust if needed.

rt200esx
06-13-2011, 12:48 PM
My owners manual says 1 7/8 on the pilot. Pretty sure my clymer manual says the same.

H2Sbass
06-13-2011, 02:59 PM
I understand you tried both a new carb as well as the old one, but have there been any other mods done to the engine ? Sounds like perhaps a different size pilot jet may be needed.

rt200esx
06-13-2011, 03:48 PM
The only thing that has been done other than the rebuild (which everything is stock) is it has an aftermarket pipe on it. Dont know what brand. How would i go about getting a different pilot size?

H2Sbass
06-13-2011, 06:52 PM
You can still buy pilot jets for these carbs right from honda. Remove the old one to take with you. I believe they run about 10 to 20 bucks. Although in my experience, when a more free flowing pipe is installed you will need to go up a size. Telltale symptom is does it backfire on hard decelleration. If so, it almost always means pilot is lean. Also, the orifice in a pilot jet is extremely small and clogs easily. When you clean it out I suggest taking a piece of the smallest guitar string you can find (make sure it is a metal electric guitar string, should be able to get .009" fairly easily) and run it through the orifice.

carsurgin
06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I have the exact same issue with my 83 200e, my mechanic tells me its bad piston rings. $20-$25 for new set of rings and a couple hours work on cylinder. You should be fine. Fuel is slipping past rings and causing (high rev). Again, this is just suggestion. And its whats wrong with mine.
What color is your exhaust? Does it backfire? You may have extreme carbon build up on your pistons. Try using up an entire can of carb/engine cleaner in engine. I prefer Castrol. Do it with hot engine, You can literally watch the carbon shoot out the exhaust. A couple back fires and a good run in her and see what happens.

rt200esx
06-13-2011, 08:15 PM
h2sbass- it doesnt back fire or sputter at all on hard accelleration. Has lot of power and seems to run great on acceleration. But the plugs are getting carbon fouled which would mean its running rich. Only a little bit of black smoke comes out of exhaust when i rev it up.
carsurgin- exhaust has no smoke except if i rev it up(black smoke) has new piston and rings. cylinder has been honed. never backfires.

rt200esx
06-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Think I figured it out(knock on wood) lowered the needle all the way. Runs way better now. Doesn't smoke at all, seems to be running cooler and its not fouling the plug with carbon. Gonna get fresh plugs and an oil change tomorrow.

H2Sbass
06-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Hey, right on. Hopefully you got 'er solved ! When you pick up plugs, get a few so you can do some plug chops and confirm for sure that your jetting is bang on. Sounds like your close.

rt200esx
06-15-2011, 07:29 PM
getting closer and closer. had to lower the needle one nothch, but im almost there. Got my new plastic tank and petcock today so I got that all installed. Also ordered a 200x headlight assembly and chrome guard off of ebay! Think that'll be sweet when i get that on. Ill get some pics on my profile soon!