PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a spark problem, honda 200s

millwrightullom
10-25-2003, 01:20 PM
I have a 1984 Honda 200s ATC, it was running ok when it suddenly died on me. I tried and tried to pull start it and nothing. So I changed the dirty plug and it still won't fire up. I noticed that i was getting spark, although a small one. But it won't fire in the chamber. I even tried to pull it with my ATV to hopefully pop it to start, but it doesn't even want to fire at all. Any suggestions????

Did I buy a new faulty plug?
Is it my stator?
Magneto?
Timing?
Does anybody know???

Also, is there supposed to be a needle connected to my throttle cabel that goes into the carb, because I don't have one. I ordered a rebuild kit and it comes with one??? Please anybody???

ATCMedic
10-25-2003, 02:18 PM
It sounds like a stator problem to me. It could possibly be your ignition coil as well. Check all of you electrial connections to be sure they are tight and not full of rust. If that's not the problem check your stator and ignition coils with an ohmeter. If you have the repair manual the specs are listed for each item.....and yes there is supposed to be a needle on your carb. it fits into the round slide on the end of your throttle cable and is held in with a spring clip.

Tri-Z Pilot
10-26-2003, 04:11 PM
What, you dont have a jet needle? Put one in immediately!!! This is almost certainly your problem. When you are trying to start the engine the negative force of the engine turning over pulls out fuel from your pilot jet, and your needle jet. Another problem that this poses is since there is no jet needle your carb will be feeding your engine from the main jet, which will make it a hell of a lot richer, and also if you do get it started the throttle could make the engine run wide open, because the jet needle regulates the flow of fuel from about 1/4 to full throttle (not exactly sure at what throttle range it works though), so find out the stock size of the jet needle, and buy one!