PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Buying Tri-Z 250

tigger2
06-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Guy says it runs good but rear shock needs recharging, I dont know much about yamaha's just woundering if someone could tell me something about it. Can it keep up with a 250r, how much is it worth.

NOSBIGSHOT
06-10-2011, 07:51 PM
The shock needs recharged after its rebuilt . I rebuilt mine with a 1 piece seal head . No it wont keep up with a 250R .Its a neat unit but has some odd designs ,like the fuel tank under the seat .I dont know what ones worth . Its all in what you want and what you want to use it for .

fabiodriven
06-10-2011, 08:27 PM
I see no reason why a properly built YTZ couldn't keep up with an R.

Bryan Raffa
06-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I have no problem keeping up and passing a 250 R on a stock Z guess it depends on the rider,,,, in this market thats worth 8-1000 on the low side because of the shock .. but who the hell knows its only a picture,, the fork seal could be blown, swing arm bearing could be shot,, motor never rebuilt ,last bore,,foot peg bolts stripped, bent...hubs could be welded on,, who the hell know by lookin at a picture,, you gotta really know what your lookin at... could be worth $200...??????????

NOSBIGSHOT
06-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Stock Tri-Z ??? with ...porting ,pipe and silencer , air box mods , and gearing ? Racing in a circle or pounding the powerline road in 5th gear ? Not wanting to start an argument everyone on her said your the king of Tri-Zs I just want your honest opinion . I have a stone stock Z with good compression that wouldnt pull a sick whore off the toilet . The supension has been freshened and its a wallowing dancing bucking out of control beast that wants to throw me off then sit on me . I like the way it looks if I had a source of real information to build this thing I would . I have not had any encouragement and parts availability is nill .

NOSBIGSHOT
06-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Whats the proper way to build one ? Inverted forks ,YFZ 450 swingarm ? 2007 YZ 250 motor ?

fabiodriven
06-10-2011, 11:14 PM
I have a stone stock Z with good compression that wouldnt pull a sick whore off the toilet . The supension has been freshened and its a wallowing dancing bucking out of control beast that wants to throw me off then sit on me . I like the way it looks if I had a source of real information to build this thing I would . I have not had any encouragement and parts availability is nill .

You have a stone stock machine that is at least 25 years old. Either it needs some freshening or it needs to be tuned.

As far as the handling, it's a trike. Again, it is 25 year old technology. It is going to try to throw you off, that's what they do. It's up to you to hang on.

You think finding parts for a Tri-Z is hard, try a Tecate.

Xpress
06-10-2011, 11:14 PM
The term "Keep up with" can have different meanings.

Stock vs stock, a 250R will win in a drag race all day long, provided there is enough track for both machines to run wide open.

However that's different on an MX Track, where the bike with the better gearing is going to be able to accelerate faster out of corners and whatnot. Of course there's other factors to consider, like rider capability and such. But for now, we are basing it off of equally capable riders.

Just because your bike tops out at a higher speed does not mean it will be winning night and day on an MX track.

As for the OP, check the bike out. Don't go off of pictures. I'm sure Raffa would be more than happy to help you out with the various known issue to look for.

Nevkilahonda3
06-11-2011, 04:11 AM
I'm not a fan of Yamahas but I like the fact that you can get a bunch of different sprocket combinations so like Xpress said it all depends on what your doing with it and I know the tri z runs a smaller carb but I like the 250R cause I like hondas and in my opinon they ride smoother and I like how they look better. If the guy lives close go look at it find out whats really wrong with it just my 2 cents.

NOSBIGSHOT
06-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm not a Honda or Yamaha guy , I'm a whore I like them all . I was just disapointed in the lack of anything my Yamaha has to offer . Everyone said equal rider .Well I'm the one who rides both of mine .And I kick my own ass on my Honda . The Yamaha has a Six Pak rack for a reason .

Just buy the thing and make it your own.Who cares if its faster than a 250R.Go have fun with it .

zzmegad
06-11-2011, 12:48 PM
there must be something wrong with your Z... it's a liquid 250, it will rip when running right. Maybe the Honda 250 was slightly better, I don't know. But I garauntee when both running right most people wil not be able to tell a differance in power, I feel this way about all similair bikes with similair engines of the big 4. To me there all great machines and overall are pretty damn equal... I totally believe that your 84r is wooping the Z, I just think the Z needs some freshining because that shouldn't be happening

NOSBIGSHOT
06-11-2011, 11:18 PM
there must be something wrong with your Z... it's a liquid 250, it will rip when running right. Maybe the Honda 250 was slightly better, I don't know. But I garauntee when both running right most people wil not be able to tell a differance in power, I feel this way about all similair bikes with similair engines of the big 4. To me there all great machines and overall are pretty damn equal... I totally believe that your 84r is wooping the Z, I just think the Z needs some freshining because that shouldn't be happening

I took the TRI-Z apart for grins . Brand new piston , lite scuff on the exhaust side but not junk it had good compression . The bike as a whole feels goofy to me . Anyway my 84 250R its no rocket but it gets with it and I can ride whooped out Rino trails without killing myself . Oh the base gasket on the TRI-Z was soggy , that was weird .

tri-Z ripper
06-12-2011, 10:40 PM
bad ass machine when taken care of! same as an R so get on it already