PDA

View Full Version : Street Legal Trike Concerns?

pismorat
06-10-2011, 07:49 AM
There is an XL500 that's been converted into a trike that the owner says is street legal. I am weary though because if the cops see it cruising down the road, its guaranteed to get pulled over every time. What do current owners of street legal trikes do and what are the best ways to make yourself less at risk?

HuffieVA
06-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Keep your paperwork on you, its only natural for the cop to assume that its not legal. Don't be cocky when you do get pulled because even if it is "technically" street legal if you have an attitude with them they will be able to find something wrong with it. Eventually (locally) they will recognize you and the bike and everything will smooth out...

However if you really dont want to bring yourself to their attention, riding a converted off road vehicle on the road is not the proper way to stay under the radar...

carsurgin
06-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I would imagine if you got headlights, turn signals, brake lights, license and insurance. And a plate. you should be ok. Remember wrong tires get you pulled over too.

bobotech
06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Yes, the big one that I can see is making sure you have DOT legal tires that fit 3 wheeler rims. It seems to me that everything else is fairly easily taken care of, but the tires will be the big one.

fabiodriven
06-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Run it. If the work at the DMV is done then you're all set. That's the hard part.

Xpress
06-10-2011, 11:11 AM
San Diego does not have street legal ATV laws like so many other states do. If they did, then all we would see is ATV's on the street here :lol:

You probably won't get it approved for street anyways.

fabiodriven
06-10-2011, 12:03 PM
It's not a street legal ATV. It's a three wheeled motorcycle. It's all about interpretation.

carsurgin
06-10-2011, 01:03 PM
It's not a street legal ATV. It's a three wheeled motorcycle. It's all about interpretation.

I second that. lol. Always look for the up side.

Xpress
06-10-2011, 02:01 PM
^^In that sense, then Jeeps would be considered quads ;)

HuffieVA
06-10-2011, 02:49 PM
^^In that sense, then Jeeps would be considered quads ;)

Not exactly, more like, you being considered intelligent... you meet a few of the main requirements but if you technical about it the theory starts to unravel :D

Xpress
06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
^Or you being considered perfectly legitimate.

HuffieVA
06-10-2011, 04:08 PM
^Or you being considered perfectly legitimate.

Thanks for the compliment...

dksix
06-10-2011, 04:35 PM
I've wondered if there was a way to legally register a trike and get tags. I'm not wanting to ride my trike on the highway, in TN there are allot of trails (loggin roads) in the mountains that are legal to drive on in a tagged vehicle but not an OHV. I understand and agree with regulations but laws MEANT to keep people from using tax funded public lands are wrong.

3-wheelin
06-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Around here I just jump on the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro with my beer in hand and punch it. If I happen to see the cops I tell them they're number one.

JK

I actually dont want to ride on the street because I rather spend money on my 3 wheeler than giving it to the parish (county)

Anyone ever got a ticket for riding on the street illegally?

Xpress
06-10-2011, 06:43 PM
^^Laws vary from town to town and city to city. There are lots of cities and towns in lots of states that don't have any restrictions on ATV's for street legality, except that they must have a headlight, tail light, blinkers, and plates/reg.

HuffieVA
06-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Xpress, I think everyone is aware that laws differ from state to state, & town to town, But you are talking about a totally different concept... They are talking about registering a three wheeler as a motorcycle (i.e. Can-Am Roadster, VW trike, Harley converted to a trike etc) so that it has the same rights to highway use as a street bike, not as an ATV where they are often limited to secondary roads or seasonal roads... If you license one as a motorcycle and you want you could take it down the interstate. Different states do have different laws regarding specialty vehicles etc. in Virginia for example you can buy a new 2-Stroke KTM take the title to the DMV and get plates for it because they are not titled for off road use only (they just say motorcycle on the title) you will never get it inspected however because it wont pass highway emissions. The reason some people do that is because if you get caught riding the roads between trails you get a simple "no inspection" ticket that costs around $40 or so, rather than having your bike impounded for being an unregistered vehicle. If you have something thats over a certain age (I dont remember off the top of my head) its exempt from emissions, if its over 25 years old you can put antique plates on it and its exempt from emissions and inspection and your plates are permanent. There are loopholes in every state its just that some are easier than others to work you way around the maze we all call the DMV. The good news is once something it titled with a "street" title its often possible to transfer it to another owner sometimes even a different state and still have it be street legal.... the point is if you go to the DMV and tell them you want to register your 1985 Kawasaki Tecate three wheeled ATV they are going to send you packing, if you go there and want to put your 1985 Kawasaki three wheeled motorcycle on the road its a totally different story... Also some states require you to have a motorcycle license before you can register a bike so in that case you would actually have to be able to pass a road test on an actual motorcycle first. Its not a simple as calling the DMV and asking how to make your dirt bike street legal for the street, you have to do some research and look & sound like you know what you are talking about or you aren't going to get what your after....

Anyway, I'm out of ideas of how to explain to you what the original reference to three wheeled motorcycle meant so good luck...

fabiodriven
06-10-2011, 08:24 PM
xpress, i think everyone is aware that laws differ from state to state, & town to town, but you are talking about a totally different concept... They are talking about registering a three wheeler as a motorcycle (i.e. Can-am roadster, vw trike, harley converted to a trike etc) so that it has the same rights to highway use as a street bike, not as an atv where they are often limited to secondary roads or seasonal roads... If you license one as a motorcycle and you want you could take it down the interstate. Different states do have different laws regarding specialty vehicles etc. In virginia for example you can buy a new 2-stroke ktm take the title to the dmv and get plates for it because they are not titled for off road use only (they just say motorcycle on the title) you will never get it inspected however because it wont pass highway emissions. The reason some people do that is because if you get caught riding the roads between trails you get a simple "no inspection" ticket that costs around $40 or so, rather than having your bike impounded for being an unregistered vehicle. If you have something thats over a certain age (i dont remember off the top of my head) its exempt from emissions, if its over 25 years old you can put antique plates on it and its exempt from emissions and inspection and your plates are permanent. There are loopholes in every state its just that some are easier than others to work you way around the maze we all call the dmv. The good news is once something it titled with a "street" title its often possible to transfer it to another owner sometimes even a different state and still have it be street legal.... The point is if you go to the dmv and tell them you want to register your 1985 kawasaki tecate three wheeled atv they are going to send you packing, if you go there and want to put your 1985 kawasaki three wheeled motorcycle on the road its a totally different story... Also some states require you to have a motorcycle license before you can register a bike so in that case you would actually have to be able to pass a road test on an actual motorcycle first. Its not a simple as calling the dmv and asking how to make your dirt bike street legal for the street, you have to do some research and look & sound like you know what you are talking about or you aren't going to get what your after....

Anyway, i'm out of ideas of how to explain to you what the original reference to three wheeled motorcycle meant so good luck...

a-friggen-men brother!!! :w00t:

Xpress
06-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Anyway, I'm out of ideas of how to explain to you what the original reference to three wheeled motorcycle meant so good luck...

Just so we are all aware, I am aware of the difference between the descriptive terms, "Three wheeled motorcycle" and "Three wheeled ATV". One is a general term, the other is a specific term.

I still however revert to my original thoughts that the motorcycle in question has a small chance of being road legal in California, something to deal with the way it is built, I.E. a 3 wheeled Harley was designed for road use, and so is a Can-Am Spyder, or a T-Rex, ect.

HuffieVA
06-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I still however revert to my original thoughts that the motorcycle in question probably cannot be .......

I however, would like to point out that your thoughts apparently have nothing to do with what you type...

Oh, and just for the record, neither of those terms are very specific...

Unless the current owner of the bike is lying, it sounds as if its already registered in California...

fabiodriven
06-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Just so we are all aware, I am aware of the difference between the descriptive terms, "Three wheeled motorcycle" and "Three wheeled ATV". One is a general term, the other is a specific term.

I still however revert to my original thoughts that the motorcycle in question has a small chance of being road legal in California, something to deal with the way it is built, I.E. a 3 wheeled Harley was designed for road use, and so is a Can-Am Spyder, or a T-Rex, ect.

Xpress, you still don't understand it. My god man.

There is a guy in my area who has what appears to be a 350X and it is road legal. In all actuality, it is a CB750 with three wheels. The engine and most of the frame are CB750, front end appears to be from a 350X. Whether it is or isn't doesn't matter all that much. It has 350X plastics and three wheels. There is nothing against riding a three wheeled vehicle on the road. Some places may require a differential axle, some may not. There is nothing saying you can't use plastics from an ATV on your motorcycle.

Let's say you want to combine your CB750 and your 350X. When you break the two down to parts and put them back together as one, who's to say at what point the vehicle ceases to be an ATC and becomes a CB750? There are ways to do it, and it has been done. Tanks350X has pictures of the CB750 trike and also an XR650 (I think) trike he came across in New Hampshire.

just ben
06-10-2011, 10:58 PM

the spyder is a road specific "three wheeled motorclcle" but how many three wheeled harleys does harley make? I'm not sure that I know of any. they are all kits built basically in someones garage. I dont see why you could'nt take a street or duel sport bike and put a "kit" on it to make it three wheeled. if your state has regulations against live axles I think the easiest fix would be to modify the axle to accept a trailer like hub on one side. much easier than trying to fit a diff

HuffieVA
06-10-2011, 11:02 PM
the spyder is a road specific "three wheeled motorclcle" but how many three wheeled harleys does harley make? I'm not sure that I know of any...f

Well, you do now...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/street-glide-trike.html

And they built servi-car's up into the 1970's

fabiodriven
06-10-2011, 11:08 PM
if your state has regulations against live axles I think the easiest fix would be to modify the axle to accept a trailer like hub on one side. much easier than trying to fit a diff

One rear wheel drive? That would handle great I'm sure. I know a guy personally that has a Harley with a diff. That's doable as well.

The CB750 conversion I saw had a live axle in it at the time I saw it on the road.

On a side note, a close personal friend of mine has a street legal CR500. I'm pretty sure a fellow board member here from western Mass has one as well.

tanks350x
06-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Here is a link that I posted showing pictures of that exact CB750- 350X conversion enjoy
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?90798-Check-out-this-radical-ride&highlight=

tanks350x
06-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Here is yet another conversion, Xl, or XR 650 I talked to the guy for a while on this one.. 350X front end, Tri Z swinger..
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?87599-Xr-650-Street-Legal-Trike&highlight=

dksix
06-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Both the CB750 trike and the XR650L look like they are really well done conversions. Back to the OP, does the owner of the trike have it tagged and insured in your state? Looks to me if you started with a registered bike the tag's wouldn't be that hard but some insurance companies require looking at the vehicle or ask that modifications be listed when you fill out the paper work. There is a guy near me that builds the Harley conversion trikes, I'll try to get in touch with him sometime and ask him about what he does and how they are insured after the fact. I've seen some Gold Wing trikes too, would anyone know if they are Honda factory or after market conversion? Seem like I saw one once at a Honda shop.

fabiodriven
06-11-2011, 09:27 AM
I've seen some Gold Wing trikes too, would anyone know if they are Honda factory or after market conversion? Seem like I saw one once at a Honda shop.

There is a company that does it after Honda builds the bike. I can't remember their name, but they have brochures at our local dealer.