PDA

View Full Version : ceramic exhaust coatings

just ben
06-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I just got my pipe back yesterday and it looks sweet! The shop that did it is right by my house and were way cheaper than any other place I found 110.00 compared to 200.00 plus shipping. if you are looking to have pipe done they are Hot shots powder coating in Hamburg,NY

dksix
06-09-2011, 04:14 PM
That's a nice job! The ceramic is tough to spray and they did a nice job polishing it afterwards. Do you know how they polished it?

just ben
06-09-2011, 08:24 PM
no idea but they do good work. I would assume a buffing wheel but im not sure. they also did the headers for my jetboat which turned out just as nice. I really wanted to show off my exhaust and not sound like I'm bragging. but it is good work for alot cheaper

dksix
06-09-2011, 09:02 PM
To get it that nice several steps may have to be taken, from sanding to steel wool and even finishing up with a low pressure glass bead blasting. There is allot of work in a finish that nice and the ceramic coating is costly on top of the labor. $110 was way more than fair. Honestly, $200 for that nice of a finish is a fair price.

WIkid500
06-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Not bad for a hundo!! I sprayed my head pipe with a HVLP gun and it worked slick. Only difference from paint is it'a bit thinner and runs easy. As dksix said the trick is in the polishing. I steel wooled mine and polished it the same way I do aluminum, just takes a lot more muscle and time to polish the ceramic.

muthey
06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
not wanting to sound like an amateur or anything but I have an honest question, does the ceramic coating help dissipate heat or is it just cosmetic? I've noticed my header on my 225 dx is getting hotter now from buildup of rust and residue and wondering if I should apply a coating other than high temp paint to it.

just ben
06-09-2011, 11:29 PM
I had it done for looks and to protect from rust. I'm not sure what it will do as far as heat on a trike but I know that drag racers have it done to lower the temp under the hood,but usually not polished. what do you mean that your pipe is heating up more? like red hot?

WIkid500
06-09-2011, 11:40 PM
not wanting to sound like an amateur or anything but I have an honest question, does the ceramic coating help dissipate heat or is it just cosmetic? I've noticed my header on my 225 dx is getting hotter now from buildup of rust and residue and wondering if I should apply a coating other than high temp paint to it.

To properly ceramic coat a pipe you will need to sand blast the rust and crud off the pipe before you spray the coating on. The ceramic coating I put on my pipe has been tough as nails. Takes rocks from the tire and nothing sticks to it. I bought my ceramic coating from columbia coatings, and baked my head pipe in the gas grill. Hillbilly yes but it worked great.

just ben
06-10-2011, 12:09 AM
To properly ceramic coat a pipe you will need to sand blast the rust and crud off the pipe before you spray the coating on. The ceramic coating I put on my pipe has been tough as nails. Takes rocks from the tire and nothing sticks to it. I bought my ceramic coating from columbia coatings, and baked my head pipe in the gas grill. Hillbilly yes but it worked great.

good info for a do it your selfer. I know the blasting media makes a big difference to the performance of the coating. best is to shot blast

TatTooL23
06-10-2011, 02:51 AM
As far as I know, a ceramic coating is not to dissipate heat. It is to keep the pipe a constant temperature. So it actually is to keep it hot in a way. A 2-stroke runs best when the pipe is at a constant temp because then it is creating the same back pressure. If the pipes heat is fluctuating then it's pressure is also changing. So with ceramic once it gets hot it stays hot. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I have understood is the reason for it. It is also durable and will not blue out or discolor.

bkm
06-10-2011, 07:04 AM
I'm no pipe expert but I have heard that some of the custom pipe builders like a raw finish because it doesn't effect the pulse waves of the pipe like some coatings do.

Bryan Raffa
06-10-2011, 07:23 AM
so who did the pipe? DynoPort? and Tattool is right...It is to keep the pipe a constant temperature. So it actually is to keep it hot in a way. A 2-stroke runs best when the pipe is at a constant temp because then it is creating the same back pressure.

TatTooL23
06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I knew it. I have a dyno port full exhaust on my quadzilla. It has a ceramic coated pipe. And I have a spoedwetx ceramic coated exhaust of my snowmobile.

muthey
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
thanks for the info guys, my trike was running lean this last winter, but now it's fine but with all the oxidization over the years it has built up on it it doesn't get red hot but you can tell it's holding the heat more than it should. I planned on bead blasting it and high temp black paint was just wondering if there was a better coating than paint I actually have it running a little rich for anyone curious, and for anyone who missed it my header is on a four stroke, the one posted about here was a two stroke.

just ben
06-10-2011, 04:45 PM
thanks for the info guys, my trike was running lean this last winter, but now it's fine but with all the oxidization over the years it has built up on it it doesn't get red hot but you can tell it's holding the heat more than it should. I planned on bead blasting it and high temp black paint was just wondering if there was a better coating than paint I actually have it running a little rich for anyone curious, and for anyone who missed it my header is on a four stroke, the one posted about here was a two stroke.

the place that did my coating also does black and grey also alot cheaper to do. I have never had any luck with "high temp" paints. Even when I follow the directions lol. make sure the inside of your pipeand silencer is clean,thats what would keep heat in not so much the outside