PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! 200s bog down when throttle is pressed hard

Yamahauler
06-08-2011, 12:58 AM
I just rebuilt the carb and made sure it was 100% clean...surgically clean...but when you jam the throttle it bogs down and will die, you have to slowly give it gas or it will die...I didnt change the plug and it seems to be fouled a bit when i pulled it out after figuring this out, I am getting some new ones tomorrow and i am wondering what could be fouling them...I wouldnt be asking this question yet if I didnt NEED this trike this weekend for a fishing trip in northern MB. but i need some help and what i can do as a temp fix.

mrmello
06-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Whats the mixture screw set at?

Thinking it might be that

250Eddie
06-08-2011, 01:05 AM
yea it must not be getting enough air or not enough gas also.

Yamahauler
06-08-2011, 01:10 AM
the plug is black and sooty, i realize i have left this problem too long since i have to have it figured out by tomorrow. I think im trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro.. ..i will try anew plug tomorrow and see what happens when i actually drive it rather that idle it in the garage

mrmello
06-08-2011, 01:17 AM
Make sure your mixture screw is set properly. A improperly adjusted carb can cause many problems and leave you stranded.

The manual says that the pilot (mixture) screw should be 2 1/4 turns out. and the needle in the middle position.

Try that.

Yamahauler
06-08-2011, 01:21 AM
I set everything to the factory settings by the manual....pilot screw 2.25 turns out, needle in center position

mrmello
06-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Ok good on the settings.

Whats the air cleaner like?

How about any shorts in the wiring. A black plug generally wont cause the problems you are describing

Yamahauler
06-08-2011, 01:39 AM
dont know about shorts. dont even know where to start with that

mrmello
06-08-2011, 01:42 AM
Check the wiring when its close to touching something metal. My 200 did that for a bit as well. found a short in the harness behind the headlight.

You can try the plug. As well there is that CDI pulse thing on the side of the head. Could be the gap in that as well.

Did it ever run proper for you?

Yamahauler
06-08-2011, 09:32 AM
My dad used to own this trike and he said its always fouled plugs. The air filter is clean. I can try pulling it right off though and if it runs better I will know its running rich. Everything is back to factory spec, this is why I am thinking it may be an electrical issue. I will get new plugs and start there though.

250Eddie
06-08-2011, 11:11 AM
when u start it and gas it a bit does it burn alot of gas?

carsurgin
06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I had the same problem with my 83 BR 200e. I was told it might be an air leak near carb after removing it to clean. I sprayed bike with water and a slight scrubbing. I cant tell you how I fixed it (sorry), because it seemed to have fixed itself. I did notice a crimp in the fuel line, readjusted that and it hasn't happened again. I keep a spare plug in the trunk, my plug builds carbon up too.
Not sure it this post helped, but at least you now your not alone. lol.
Does your bike backfire? Mine would rev high, back fire and give me black exhaust. I let it warm up and burn off excess fuel. It seemed to run ok after that.

jakerman
06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
My 200 S historically would be a hard start and then run rough at times. after extensive cleanig of the carb, adjusting the needle etc, i detemined it was the stator (no the lite stator but the ignition stator was faulty. Does the trike idle good then die down once throttle is pressed? The wiring is a pain in the ass because it could be in the harness. Just to be safe check all the visual wires you can see,check and dieelectric grease all the connections of the electric, do a ohms check on the wires coming out of the stator cover. Im not sure what the ohms reading will be but it is on the web somewhere, if that fails then check the ignition coil as well. It sounds more like a fuel type problem however. Double make sure that the needle in the carb are cleaned out with compressed air. I have had a little tiny piece of shmegma in the needle jet in the past which caused the same type of problem. Go thorugh that fuel systme first, kinked hose, blockage at the petcock coming from the tank, etc before you rip the stator apart. Hopefully this helped and you can go back riding asap!

3wheelrider
06-09-2011, 10:05 AM
What size jet/s are in there?

Frankencelery
06-09-2011, 08:54 PM
I was thinking it was over-jetted as well. Black plug usually means too rich, and if the needle is set correctly, that might be the next thing to check. However, a weak spark would do the same thing. Find out if the spark is fat and blue, or thin and orange.

carsurgin
06-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Mine is thin and orange. I think i got same issue. thought we fixed it, but no. It runs great on foggy rain days and shitty on nice days.

250Eddie
06-09-2011, 10:15 PM
after cleaning my carb im having the same problem if i slam the gas down it dies on me but if i start gassing it slowly it runs fine all the way, its only when i slam on the gas that it dies.

just ben
06-09-2011, 11:03 PM
not enough fuel in the bowl? adjust the float level back to spec. and then play with it abit to get running the best

Lord Letto 20
06-10-2011, 04:33 PM
How is the Choke? Is it working Properly?

Scratt
06-10-2011, 05:01 PM
I had my 200s foul plugs like crazy then I would have to wire brush them and put them in it ended up being the wire to the spark plug after I replaced that it worked great. Also check for water in the gas when that happens to me ifi give itgas fast it just dies I would have to rev it slowly i just splashed a little bit of gas line anti freeze in splash around the tank and let it idle a few minutes to get it through the system and then it works perfect again.

Tuff
06-11-2011, 11:11 AM
my 185s did the same exact thing. I adjusted the clip on the needle and that fixed it.

Yamahauler
06-14-2011, 07:06 PM
well, it ran pretty good for the weekend... was having problems at times if I gave too much gas too quick. I will try checking the color of the spark, I think I have an actual tester.

Its always hard to start when the engine hasnt ran for a day or two, then after that, it either starts first pull or takes a bunch.

I am leaning more towards an electrical problem, but I will let you know what I figure out.

Thanks for all the replies!

MTS
06-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Could be some water collecting in the float bowl...but pull your mag off and knock/sand all the rust off of it..