PDA

View Full Version : My first yellow trike, 1983 Yamaha YTM200E yamahauler

dz
06-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Well, just got this beauty. Has all of its original equipment down to the key. Gas smells like turpentine. Mix matched rear tires. Has compression. The fenders aren't cracked but they are extremely faded. What are you guys doing to bring the fenders back, some 1000 grit paper and wd40? Also, anybody know a source for carb. rebuild kits, or is it just order the parts you need from oem? Thanks. Pictures up soon.

stump3r12
06-06-2011, 03:59 PM
I recommend using a pressure washer on the fenders so get some of the junk off of it. I have not gotten to the next step yet (Sanding and painting) but i would assume that it would be smart to use a really light grit sandpaper then a rougher on the scratches (if any) finish with a light grit then paint. Not sure if i should do a wet sand though. as for the carb, they were made fairly well and i personally think that they dont really need a re-build kit. Mine was sitting in the bush for about for an "X" amount of years and i simply unbolted it, unscrewed it then soaked the float, needle, seat and ect in brakelean (degreaser) And used Royal Purple on the screws that would not move that well then sprayed Brakelean through the carb. By doing this you eliminate most of the junk and all the parts move freely. Once everything was apart i then also soaked cleaned out the jets. Made sure everything was clean, put it back together then it fired right up. i am not too sure about the correct idle mixture screw setting but i just did 1 1/2 out. The only thing you need to worry about is the choke cable sticking. This happened to me and caused all kinds of problems on the account of the cable being seized.

Hoped this helped
- Aaron

dz
06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
stump3r12,
my carb. on the inside is really screwed up. The gas turned so bad it actually started corroding the internals of the carb. I am going to be looking for a more salvageable one. For the plastics I heard of some guys on here using a special compound but it just took a lot of work. I don't remember what the stuff was called though.

atc007
06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Yamahas plastic is BY FAR the easiest to bring back. Take a good quality razor blade and scrape the white oxidation off. Wet sand the scratches out and buff down thru the compounds accordingly. You will probably be AMAZED at the nice deep dark yellow when you're done scraping and not bother sanding. Sounds like a diff carb is a good idea. However,if the venturi isn't weak and or worn out. I have salvaged barbs where the main jet had actually turned into plastic and the body of the carb was weak. Good luck

muthey
06-07-2011, 01:03 AM
according to the manual it's 1 7/8 turns out on the mix screw, and I actually like my mikuni carbs have a couple of them for my 3 yammi's I would recommend searching flea bay first then resorting to getting one from the dealer, as they are a pretty stable carb, only one lil trick is pay attention to the float needle once it wears the rubber tip will not seal correctly. Other than that they work pretty good.

3WheelinMan
06-07-2011, 03:12 AM
All good advice guys... except if you spray your carb with any aerosol make sure ALL the rubber seals and float needle. It makes plastic parts brittle too.
The OEM carb on my 70 was corroded so bad inside the petcock valve that it wouldn't seal properly around the o-ring lip and even ate deep enough for a pinhole to form too! I've looked for the YTM200 carbs on ebay and they're very hard to find unless you type in the throat diameter (IDK how many mm offhand) or search for Mikuni VM22 (or whatever yours is... it's stated in the manuals) and you'll find a few new Chinese Mikuni knockoffs with the choke on the left side instead of using the notorious sticky factory choke plunger and cable.
As far as the wet sanding goes, scrape off the loose stuff start with on 100 or 200 grit while sprinkling with water and then go to the 400 grit and going to the 1000 grit after that to get a pretty darned good shine... if it's not as shiny as you'd like, finish with 2000 grit and some Novus plastic polish or good wax. Very gratifying when done but it will take some patience and time!

muthey
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
here is a compatible carb for you on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mikuni-Motorcycle-Carb-Yamaha-29U-Used-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a79045eaQQitemZ29057 4058986QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories the actual one you need is a 24w, but the only difference between the one in the listing and the one you have is either a jet or needle and the intake boot.

Taiser
06-07-2011, 01:14 PM
That was one of my first bikes and I would love to find one again!! That thing is a tank and a submarine at the same time. You will find that it's almost impossible to kill!!! Once you get it running you're going to love it...it's a great wheely machine!! :)