PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z now has NO lights....HELP!

Darius1502
10-24-2003, 02:02 AM
Ok...I am a dumbarse. Here is what I did:

For each headlamp on my 86 Tri Z there are 3 wires: a black one, a yellow one, and a green one.

I accidently unplugged the black wire while the headlights were on HIGH. It was the black wire on the left side headlamp. Now they both don't work on HIGH beam.

I did the same thing tonite except the same black wire came loose while the low beam was on. No both the High and Low beams don't work but the tail light works.

What do you think burned out?
Was that black wire a ground wire?
What needs to be replaced?

Dynofox
10-24-2003, 09:02 AM
Did you check the bulbs to see if they're blown?

86250RZ
10-24-2003, 10:02 AM
Sounds to me like you blew the high beam in the bulb when you pulled the ground loose and the same thing happened to low beam when ground came loose. Just replace booth bulbs and everything should be fine.

Darius1502
10-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Thats what I am thinking....

I spent 2 hours looking at the old 86 wiring diagram to figure out what might have happened (I am an attorney not an electrician)!

I will try to put in some new bulbs tonite.

Thanks so much for the help!

Darius

(I'll have some more pics soon!)

TimSr
10-24-2003, 02:23 PM
See if your fialmenst are good, either with an ohm meter, or lighting them a battery or charger. Often a bad voltage regulator will result in surge when you rev it, that will blow all your filaments. If this is the caes, and you replace all teh bulbs, they will easily blow again.

Darius1502
10-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks Tim...I have not installed my new bulbs yet but I think I just burned out the filaments when I removed the ground.

First, I did it on Wed. night when I removed the ground with the HI beams on....

Then I did it again on Thurs. when the ground got loose with the low beams on...

I am sure that it will work when I put new bulbs in now that the black ground wire is secure....

Hey even that nifty red temperature light works....

Tri Z's are pretty cool trikes!

Thanks for the help guys...I'll get some really cool pics up in the next 2 days!

Darius

TimSr
10-24-2003, 10:18 PM
The TriZ has about the worst lights, if you actually need to use them. In the interests of self preservation, this avid night rider made some minor modifications with a pair of 35watt sealed beam trapezoidals which is about the max the Z will generate.