PDA

View Full Version : big red slipping chain

carsurgin
06-03-2011, 12:18 PM
i got a 83 big red 200. I just replaced the chain and readjusted the tension. I replaced all bolts in rear end. Ive even put a spot weld in so it dont move. but My chain seems to be slipping at front sprocket. It was perfect while driving, then I went through some deep puddles.
Could being wet cause slippage? I have not looked deep yet cause i wanted some input.
Has anyone else had this problem when getting big red wet?

mohadib
06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
how are the sprockets and chain? might be time for new?

rdlsz24
06-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Water won't cause a chain to slip on a sprocket. That would be disastrous. Anytime you change your chain you should consider changing the sprockets out as well

Are you sure it's the chain and not your clutch that's slipping?

Rob

carsurgin
06-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I would imagine I need a new sprocket. How could I tell the difference between slipping chain on front sprocket to slipping clutch? is it same sort of noise? It happens in different gears, only when i start moving. dosent happen when im moving. but when i switch gears, i do hear a clunk (to best describe it.). Am i looking at a clutch repair? or transmission trouble?

MonkOFox
06-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Check the teeth on the front sprocket... if they are all there and not severely worn then that's probably not your problem. Next thing you can do is use the service manual to check your clutch.

carsurgin
06-03-2011, 02:55 PM
i checked the sprocket and all the teeth are there. They do look a little sad though. (dull and worn). I will replace that. Now... I have never done a clutch, is it tough? I have the manual, but when does a job go as smooth as the manual says. lol. ill do my homework tonight.
I never thought of the clutch being the problem. thanks guys.

carsurgin
06-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Ok, I figured it out. Even with a weld, the power of the bike pulls my chain loose. I guess I just have to readjust every couple days. Does anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it.